December 13-14, 2019
Two-Teams Capture Title at 2nd Foursome's Championship
Will Davenport and Mike Smith survived a playoff to capture the Foursomes Championship on Saturday at ChampionsGate Golf Resort. This was the first FSGA Championship victory for both Davenport and Smith. Steve Riviere and Rick Cloninger took home the win in the Senior Division.
Following Friday's first round, Davenport and Smith sat in a tie for first place with Miles McConnell and Dave McMeen at even-par 72, the low round of the weekend. Davenport and Smith's first round included a bogey-free back nine, with three birdies.
The final round began with a half hour weather delay. Davenport and Smith got off to a hot start, birding two of the four first holes. They finished the front nine at even-par and headed to back nine with a one-stroke lead over McConnell and McMeen.
After a bogey and a double bogey on the back nine, Davenport and Smith birdied the 16th hole to pull back into a tie with McConnell and McMeen at 2-over. Both teams finished the final round at 2-over 146.
A birdie on the first playoff hole propelled Davenport and Smith to a victory, with McConnell and Smith taking home a second-place finish.
The teams of Duke Butler and Len Schonfeld, and Cooper Smith and Jason Duff, finished tied for third at 8-over 152.
Steve Riviere and Rick Cloninger went wire-to-wire to pick up the win in the Senior Division, finishing the weekend with a 4-over 148. The duo posted a 1-over 73 in the first round to head into the final round with a one-stroke lead over the field.
They continued their strong play on Saturday, playing the final eight holes at even-par or better. Riviere and Cloninger carded a final-round 2-over 148 to secure the win.
Joe Shaktman and Steve Sponder took home second place at 5-over 149, while Kevin Macy and Walter Himelsbaugh finished third at 9-over 149.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Championship Division||6,776 yds. 73.5/135|
|Senior Division||6,327 yds. 71.4/128|
|Intermittent Rain, Humid||74 °F|
Format: 36-holes of gross foursomes stroke play
Eligibility: FSGA Member - Championship Division
Handicap: Florida GHIN 10.0 or less
Entry Fee: $250 ($125 per player)
Players will be challenged and entertained in the foursomes (alternate-shot) format that we see most in international team competitions. The event is open to all ages as Champions and prizes will be awarded for both the Championship Division (amateurs of any age) and Senior Division (teams of amateurs, both players age 55 and older).
- 36-holes of gross foursomes stroke play (no handicaps; pure alternate shot)
- The lowest team score in each division for 36 holes will be the Champion
What is Foursomes? A foursome is a two person team event where one team member tees off on the odd holes and the other partner tees off on the even holes. The single ball in play is then played alternately into the hole by the team partners.
- Male amateur golfers
- Both entrants are required to be members of the FSGA
- Senior Division only - both team members must be at least 55 years of age as of the first day of the Championship
- Maximum of 78 teams - 156 players
Entries will be accepted based upon the order of receipt. Entries received after the competitive field is full or after the close of entries, will be placed on an alternates list. Alternates will be contacted in the order of receipt of entry, if and when, a spot becomes available. The Championships Committee reserves the right to hold a number of spots for past champions, and players with standing on annual and two-year points lists until the entry close date.
- $250 per team GHIN or Foundation Members
- $270 per team Non-GHIN
Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
The golf course will be set-up at approximately
- Championship Division - 6,700 - 7,000 yards
- Senior Division - 6,200 - 6,500 yards
Friday, December 13th
- 7:45 AM - 9:45 AM - Round One tee times off the 1st and 10th tees
Saturday, December 14th
- 8:00 AM - Shotgun start
- Awards ceremony immediately following the completion of play
After 18 holes, the number of flights will be based on the number of teams and the range of scores.
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the Championship on a space available basis. Practice rounds may be played after 12:00 PM on the weekend. The price for a practice round is $45.00 + tax per player. Please call 407-787-4653 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
The team of Brent Dorman and David Griffin captured the Championship division, while Steve Riviere and Rick Cloninger won the Senior division in the Inaugural Foursomes Championship. Click here for the 2018 results.
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Next year's Four-Ball Championship (Championship Division Champion Only)
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are allowed in all FSGA Championships except Junior events. However, a player must not use a parent, step-parent or guardian as a caddie. The caddie MUST walk and the player's clubs must remain on the golf cart.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Terms of the Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Host Hotel and Accommodations
ChampionsGate Resort accepts cash, Visa/MasterCard, and American Express as forms of payment.
ChampionsGate Golf Resort
8575 White Shark Blvd.
ChampionsGate, Florida 33896