FJT at Sandridge GC (16-18)
August 19-20, 2017
Tianyu Wu & Caroline Hwang Capture Convincing Victories
Boy's 16-18 Division
In the Boy's 16-18 division, it was Tianyu Wu who outplayed the rest of the field to break his runner-up streak and win his first Florida Junior Tour event. After round one, Wu held a one-shot lead over Nicolas Diebel after shooting a two under-par, 70. Sitting two back of Wu was recent Junior Florida Cup standout, Luke Gifford. Gifford opened with an even par, 72 and sit in a tie for third place along with Nicholas Bessire and recent back-to-back Boys' Junior Champion, Fred Biondi. With Wu having just a slight edge over the rest of the field, Sunday's final round was shaping up to be anyone's tournament. Wu began his first round with one birdie yet one bogey on the front nine, making the turn at even-par, 36. However, Wu's putter lit up on the back nine as he went on to make four birdies coming down the home stretch. Wu's four birdies on the back nine propelled him to four under-par for the day and six-under par for the tournament. With a two-day total of six under-par, 138, Wu outlasted runner-up, Luke Giffod by four strokes to win his first Florida Junior Tour title. Finishing in third place was Nicholas Bessire who backed up his first round, 72 with a one under-par round of 71 to finish at 143. The highlight of the Boy's 16-18 division came when Ryder Sutcliffe made his sixth hole-in-one on the 14th hole from 148 yards with his 8 iron.
Girl's 16-18 Division
In the Girl's 16-18 division, it was Caroline Hwang who came out on top after taking the title by five strokes. After the first round, Caroline led the field with a two-over par, 74 and was one shot ahead of Claire Albrecht heading into the second round. With the next lowest score being a seven over-par, 79 from both Elise Boccabella and Madyson Moy, it seemed as if it was going to be a battle between Hwang and Albrecht Sunday morning. Hwang started her final round by making the turn at 37 that included two bogeys and one birdie. With Albrecht closing in, Hwang distanced herself from the rest of the field by making three birdies on the back nine en route to a two under-par, 34 on the back nine. Hwang would finish her final round with a two-day total of one over-par, 145 after shooting one under-par in her final round. Claire Albrecht shot her second consecutive 75 to finish alone in second place with a six over-par total of 150. Elise Boccabella rounded out the top three, finishing with a 157 total. Hwang's win is her second FJT win within the last year and her third victory in her career.
- The Girl's 16-18 scoring average dopped significantly from the first to second round. (81 & 77.8)
- Ryder Sutcliffe claimed the only hole-in-one of the event on the 14th hole
- Tianyu Wu captured his first FJT victory
- The champions had a combined 9 birdies during the final round
- Louis Fiurmara Jr. earned most improved out of both divisions by improving his second round score by 12 strokes
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Boys 16-18||6,860 yds., 72.0/128|
|Girls 16-18||5,924 yds., 75.0/134|
|Sunny & Humid||90 °F|
|Light Rain||87 °F|
16-18 Age Division
$95 or $115 entry fee (GHIN vs non-GHIN price)
Membership is required
Sandridge GC does not allow outside coolers.
Sandrige Golf Club, located in Vero Beach, has hosted three of the previous four Junior Team Championships. This exciting golf course will be a true test for all who tee it up. Designed by Ron Garl and opened for play in 1987, the Dunes course winds around an old ridge that runs up the East Coast of Florida that was once used for mining operations.
Click here to view the club's website.
- 36 holes of individual stroke play
- 84 total players
- 16-18 age division (age calculated by the last day of the tournament)
Divisions and Approximate Yardages
- Boys 16-18 Age Division - 6,900 yards (gross only)
- Girls 16-18 Age Division - 6,000 yards (gross only)
How Entries are Accepted
- Players with an unused FJT exemption will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis (if submitted before the entry deadline).
- Players without an FJT exemption - all other entries are held until the entry closing date. Shortly after the closing date, a computer-generated random draw is performed to determine which entries are accepted, and the order of the alternates. All players are notified of their status after the random draw is conducted,
- An alternates list will be posted to the FJT website under "Tee Times & Player Information".
- Entries submitted after the entry deadline will be added to the bottom of the alternates list or used to fill any openings in the field.
Click here for more details.
How to Enter
Entries must be submitted through the FSGA website. To enter, each player must have an account on this website (free to setup), and a current FJT Junior Membership ($40). Click "Enter" above in the Tournament Links box.
The entry fee of $95 (for GHIN handicap members) or $115 (non-GHIN handicap members) includes tournament rounds, range balls prior to tournament rounds, crystal trophies for the top three finishers, and a tee gift.
To receive the GHIN handicap price, the player, or one of the player's parents must have an active GHIN handicap at a club in Florida. The seven digit GHIN number must be included and active when the entry is submitted. Click on the Handicaps tab above in the main menu for more information.
Late Fee: A late fee of $10 will be applied to entries received after the entry deadline. The entry fee and late fee will only be charged if the player gets accepted into the tournament field.
Schedule of Events
Saturday, August 19th
7:00 AM - 9:30 AM - Tournament Registration (near pro shop)
7:45 AM - 9:42 AM - Round one tee times off the 1st and 10th tees
Sunday, August 20th
7:45 AM - 9:42 AM - Final round tee times off the 1st and 10th tees
Approximately 2:30 PM - Awards presentation
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the tournament on a space-available basis. Times times are only available after 12:00 noon the weekend prior. The price for a practice round is $30.00 + tax. Please call (772) 770-5000 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course, not filling divots, and not repairing ball marks are unacceptable and may cause removal from the tournament without a refund.
Players are not allowed to drive golf carts (must be 18 years old to drive a cart).
AJGA Performance Based Entry (PBE)
- Winner receives 8 performance stars
- Top five finishers receive 4 performance stars
- Winner receives 8 performance stars
- Top three finishers receive 4 performance stars
- Ranked by Junior Golf Scoreboard
- Walking - players must walk during tournament rounds
- Spectators & Carts - Spectators are allowed. Spectator carts are available first-come, first-served at $20 + tax per day, per cart Click here
- Caddies - Caddies are not allowed
- Range Finders (Electronic Measuring Devices) - are allowed (see Local Rules link below)
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here
- Local Rules and Conditions of Competition - Click here
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this tournament.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The
decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Hotel & AccommodationsThe FSGA does not have a host hotel at this time.
Sandridge Golf Club
5300 73rd St.
Vero Beach, FL 32967
Click for Map