Amateur Public Links Championship
June 9-11, 2017
Scott Turner Earns First FSGA Title
Scott Turner, of Stuart, out shined the field of 67 players to capture the 20th Amateur Public Links at Abacoa Golf Club, June 9-11. Turner posted a four-under par 68 in the first round to take the lead by one shot. Turner’s flawless first round included four birdies and no bogeys. He would remain bogey-free through 36 holes, shooting a second round 68 (-4). Turner would take a five shot lead over Jacob Richard heading into Sunday's final round.
In the final round, Turner picked up where he left off, making an eagle at the par five second. He added another birdie at the par five sixth to turn in 33 (-3). After birdying the tenth, Turner would make his first mistake of the Championship, a double-bogey six at the short par four eleventh. He would make another bogey at the par three thirteenth but would rebound by making birdies on 14, 15, and 17 to come home in 35 (-1). The third consecutive round of four-under par 68 capped off an impressive week for the 33 year old and marks his first FSGA title. Turner's win grants him an exemption into the 100th Amateur, Amateur Match Play, and next year's Mid-Amateur.
Devin Suri, of Saint Augustine, and Jacob Richard, of Cape Coral, finished in second place with a tournament total of four-under par. Ryan Celano, of Naples, would charge up the leaderboard after a scintillating final-round 64 (-8) to finish alone in fourth. The tournament highlight came from Abacoa Golf Club staff member, Brett Whitley, who made a hole-in-one on the 195 yard fourth hole with a five iron in hand.
The Amateur Public Links Championship is open to bona fide public course players who are not members of a private club and also do not have a handicap index higher than 6.4. Competitors play 18 holes of stroke play on each of the three days.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Public Links||6,811 yds., 73.4/140|
|Hot & Humid||90 °F|
|Light Rain & Humid||87 °F|
|Hot & Humid||90 °F|
$235 per competitor ($225 with GHIN handicap)
**Mandatory** read the eligibility Questions below prior to entering to verify you are eligible.
The Amateur Public Links Championship, at Abacoa Golf Club located in Jupiter, is a weekend packed with great competition between a list of very successful champions. Although the competition is fierce, the format is as simple as it gets - 54 holes of stroke play with no cut. For a look at the 2016 Championship results click here.
- Male amateur golfers
- A valid USGA Handicap Index not exceeding 6.4
- Entrant is required to be a member of the FSGA
Male amateurs must be bona fide public course players, since January 1, 2017, and have not held privileges at any course that does not extend playing privileges to the general public, or privileges at any private club maintaining its own course.
A bona fide public course player may hold incidental privileges at a course not open to the public when such privileges are provided by: an educational institution at which he/she attends, a federal armed service at which he/she is a member, or an industry by which he/she is employed.
If you answer "Yes" to any of the following questions, you are NOT ELIGIBLE for this year's FSGA Public Links Championship:
1. Private Club Access - Have you had privileges at a private club (not open to the public) at anytime during the current year (since January 1st)?
2. Social Memberships - Do you maintain a social membership at a private club that allows you to play the course sometime during the year?
3. Dependents of Members - Does your spouse or parent/guardian belong to a private course and as a result you are allowed to play the course without a guest fee?
4. Golf Course Employees - Have you been an employee of a private course during the year, where you are allowed to play golf more than one day per week?
5. Resort Courses - Do you have a membership at a resort that restricts which days resort guests can play?
6. Golf Team Members - As a member of a scholastic golf team, are you allowed to play a private course not owned by the school at times other than your regular golf season including playoffs and championships?
- Military Courses - A player, because of his military service may hold privileges at a facility from which the general public is excluded.
- County and City Courses - A player may be a member at a course open to county or city residents even if it is closed to nonresidents.
- Handicap - There is no restriction where a player maintains his handicap.
Players must be a member of the FSGA.
- 54 holes of individual gross stroke play (no handicaps)
- Maximum 84 player field size
- $225 Active FSGA/GHIN handicap or Foundation Member
- $235 Non active FSGA/GHIN handicap
Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field
Entries will be accepted based upon the order of receipt. Entries received after the competitive field is full or after the close of entries, will be placed on an alternates list. Alternates will be contacted in
the order of receipt of entry, if and when, a spot becomes available.
- The course will be set-up at approximately 6,800-7,000 yards
Schedule of Events
Friday, June 9th
- 8:00 AM - 10:06 AM - Round one tee times off of #1 and #10
Saturday, June 10th
- 8:00 AM - 10:06 AM - Round two tee times off of #1 and #10
Sunday, June 11th
- 8:00 AM - 10:06 AM - Final round tee times off of #1 and #10
- Awards ceremony immediately following the completion of play
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the championship. Practice rounds may be played after 12:00 PM on the weekend. The price for a practice round is $35.00 + tax. Please call (561) 622-0036 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
Joe Alfieri II, Tampa, FL 72-73-66--211 (-5). Sunday made for a long day of golf where the players finished their second round and continued on to play their final round. Joe Alfieri, the 2015 Amateur Player of the Year, rose to lead by one stroke heading into the final round after a steady second round of one over-par 73. Alfieri finished second in the event in 2015 and was out for redemption in 2016. After carding three birdies in a row on holes three through five and one more birdie on the seventh hole, Alfieri made the turn at two under-par in his final round. Five birdies on his last nine holes sealed a victory for Alfieri with a final round of six under-par 66, tournament total 211 (-5).
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Current year's Amateur Championship
- Current year's Amateur Match Play Championship
- Next year's Mid-Amateur Championship
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are allowed in all FSGA Championships except Junior events. However, a player must not use a parent, step-parent or guardian as a caddie. The caddie MUST walk and the player's clubs must remain on the golf cart.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Conditions of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Host Hotel and Accommodations
Palm Beach Gardens Marriott
4000 RCA Boulevard
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
$89 per room, per night, plus tax. Click here to book online, or call mentioning "FSGA Amateur Public Links Championship" for rate. Must reserve by May 25, 2017!
Abacoa Golf Club accepts Cash, Visa, MasterCard, and Amex for method of payment.
Abacoa Golf Club
105 Barbados Drive
Jupiter, Florida 33458
Click here for directions