July 27-28, 2019
Havixbeck & Scolapio Go Wire-to-Wire at 70th Four-Ball
BOYNTON BEACH, Fla. – An impressive fourteen under-par total from Eric Havixbeck and Anthony Scolapio secured a Four-Ball Championship a wire-to-wire victory at the prestigious Pine Tree Golf Club. The Jacksonville natives and former LaGrange College teammates paired up for the first time in team competition to give them both their first FSGA Championship.
The perfect weather and pristine conditions at Pine Tree, led to a leaderboard highlighted by red numbers after round one. Eric Havixbeck, of Jacksonville, and Anthony Scolapio, of Ponte Vedra Beach, took a three stroke lead with an impressive ten under-par 61. The duo fought through the front nine staying even par through the eighth hole. Excitement began when Scolapio eagled the par five, ninth hole and the two traded birdies on holes 11 through 18 to pull ahead of two teams tied in second place. 2018 U.S. Amateur Four-Ball runner-ups, Marc Dull and Chip Brooke, tied the team of Colin Kresl and Rhett Pooley in second with opening rounds of 64.
A weather suspension in the middle of the final round tested the patience of the players. The team of Carl Santos-Ocampo, of Naples, and Marc France, of Plantation, started chipping away at their five stroke deficit in round two. Turning at four under-par and finishing with four more birdies on the back nine, Santos-Ocampo and France bettered their first round score by three stokes to finish at 129 (-13). Despite a birdie from Havixbeck on the sixth hole and another eagle from Scolapio on the ninth hole, the first round leaders entered the finishing holes tied with Santos-Ocampo/France. Tied for the lead on the 17th hole, Scolapio hit his approach inside a foot, to move back to -14 with a birdie and one stroke ahead. Havixbeck scored a par on the final hole to secure the first place win by one stroke. Havixbeck and Scolapio posted two rounds lower than their qualifying score at Amelia National Golf Club to be crowned first time FSGA champions at 128 (-14). Marc Dull and Chip Brooke dropped to fourth place after a second round 67 and 131 (-11) finish. Consistency was key for Andrew Kozan, of West Palm Beach, and Justin Burkhamer, of Palm City, who claimed third place with two rounds of 65.
Follow the FSGA:
The men’s schedule will continue with the Amateur Match Play Championship August 1-4 at Old Marsh Golf Club in Palm Beach Gardens.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Four-Ball Championship||7,031 yds. 74.1/141|
|Hot and Humid. Light winds||92 °F|
The 70th Four-Ball Championship will be played at the classic Pine Tree Golf Club. The Dick Wilson design is regarded as a favorite by many in Southeast Florida and will serve as a challenge to all competitors! For a look at the past Championship Results click here.
- 36 holes of four-ball stroke play (commonly called two person best-ball)
- The lowest team score for 36 holes will be the Champion
Championship Field Size
Maximum of 52 teams - 104 players
- Male amateur golfer
- At least one player must be 16 years of age as of the first day of the Championship
- Both entrants are required to be members of the FSGA
Entry Fees (per team)
|Qualifying Fee||Championship Fee|| Exempt Fee
- Qualifying Fee: Qualifying Fee includes entry fee and cart fee.
- Championship Fee: Fee paid by those individuals who advance to the Championship through qualifying. Includes tee gifts and gift certificates, all course and cart fees, and range balls.
- Exempt Fee: Exempt Fee includes Championship Fee and Entry Fee for those individuals eligible for exemption.
Late entries are subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
Those teams who advance to the Championship through qualifying must pre-register and remit an additional $220 per team at the FSGA website, www.fsga.org. Payment must be received by Monday, July 22nd at 3:30 pm, or the team will be withdrawn from the Championship
- Log on to the FSGA website at www.fsga.org using your email address and password
- Click on "My Account" in the upper right hand corner of the homepage
- Under "My Tournaments", click on the "Pre-Register" button to the right of the tournament name
- Enter your credit card information and then click the "Charge My Card" button on the bottom right hand corner of the page
Refunds, Notice of Withdrawals
Qualifying Entry Fees - Requests for qualifying entry refunds received prior to entry closing date will be honored (less $20 per entry administrative fee). Requests received after the closing date will be honored (less 50% of entry fee). No requests will be honored within two days of the scheduled start date of the qualifier.
Championship Fees & Exempt Entry Fees - Requests for refunds of Exempt or Championship fees prior to the pre-registration deadline will be honored (less $20 per entry administrative fee). No requests will be honored after the pre-registration deadline (See pre-registration date displayed on this page).
The golf course will be set-up at approximately 6,800-7,100 yards
Schedule of Events
Friday, July 26th
- 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM - Practice Rounds available
- 5:00 PM - Range Closes
Saturday, July 27th
- 8:00 - 10:00 AM - Round one tee times off of #1 and #10 tees
- Complimentary Player's Lunch Buffet in upstairs dining room following Round 1
- Driving Range Closed 1 hour after final group finishes play
Sunday, July 28th
- 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM - Round two tee times off of #1 and #10 tees
- Awards ceremony immediately following the completion of play
- 18 holes of four-ball stroke play at 6 local qualifying sites
- During qualifying, each team must use a golf cart
- Players are responsible for cart fees for all practice rounds
University of North Florida Teammates and past Florida Junior Tour winners Jordan Batchelor & Michael Mattiace paired up to capture the 69th Four-Ball Championship at The Conservatory Course at Hammock Beach Resort. The duo held fired round of 66-63--129 (-15) to hold off Florida Open & Amatuer Champion Gabriel Lench, and partner Chase Ibbotson. Click here for the 2018 results.
Carts are included for all competitive rounds of the Championship. Players are responsible for practice round fees.
Practice Rounds - Championship
The price for a practice round is $35.00 + tax. Please call 561-734-6050 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the championship, on a space available basis with the following restrictions:
- Limited to after 12:00 PM on the weekend prior
- Pine Tree is closed on Monday's
- Tuesday - Thursday - anytime
- Friday - limited to after 11:00 AM
- Cash is the only form of payment accepted for Practice Round Fees.
Teams in the following categories will be eligible for exemption provided they meet all entry and eligibility requirements (teams must remain intact):
NOTE: Blank entries will be filed by the FSGA for players who become exempt after the close of entries
- Top 5 teams and ties from last year's Four-Ball Championship
- Last three year's Four-Ball Champions
- Current year's Mid-Amateur Four-Ball Champions
- Last year's Mid-Senior Four-Ball Champions
- Current year's Senior/Mid-Amateur Four-Ball Champions
- Current year's Two-Man Shoot-Out Champions
- Last year's Senior Four-Ball Champions
- Teams qualifying for the current year's U.S. Four-Ball Championship (one player of the side must reside in Florida)
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Next three Four-Ball Championships
Top five and tied teams
- Next year's Four-Ball Championship
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are allowed in all FSGA Championships except Junior events. However, a player must not use a parent, step-parent or guardian as a caddie. The caddie MUST walk and the player's clubs must remain on the golf cart.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Terms of the Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Host Hotel and Accommodations
Courtyard Boynton Beach
1601 N Congress Ave
Boynton Beach, FL 33426
$92 per room, per night. Please call in and ask for "FSGA 4 Ball Championship Room Block" or click here to book online.
Must book by 7/19/2019 to receive rate.
Pine Tree Golf Club takes Cash ONLY for Practice Rounds and Food & Beverage. Visa, Mastercard and American Express are accepted as forms of payment for Pro Shop Merchandise.
Pine Tree Golf Club
10600 Pine Tree Terrace
Boynton Beach, FL 33436
Click here for directions.