Junior Amateur Match Play (Boys 13-15 & All Girls)
July 16-19, 2018
After the first two rounds of stroke play seeding, the field was successfully cut to 16 players for both boys and girls. Madison Hewlitt advances into match play, leading the girls division on both days with rounds of 69 and 72. Jaqueline Putrino,Celeste Valinho and Caroline Patterson would join her. Other notables to have moved on include this year’s Girls Junior Champions, Chloe Schiavone who took the final seed. Onto the boy’s side, Gabriel Hegerstrom and Justin Ross tied for the lead with a total of six over par. Yuze Zhang, Brendan Valdes, and Joshua Stewart followed closely behind.Andres Atrio and Clay Tucker would claim our final to spots to get to an even 16.
Round of 16 & Quarterfinals
The first and second round of match play began with dreams and hopes and ended with four players getting closer to reaching those dreams. First, in the girls division,our number one seed, Hewlett, was defeated by Schiavone. Schiavone would then continue her winning streak by defeating Sarah Edwards in the quarterfinals. Caroline Patterson would take a dominate place in the tournament as she defeated Madison Heideman. Patterson then takes on Kaitlyn Schroeder winning 3&1. The last twoplayers to move into the semifinals are Skylee Shin and Celeste Valinho. Shin played the longest match of the day going to 20 holes with Kayla Holden in the quarterfinals match.
Moving onto the boys, Hegerstrom wins his first match but losses against Andre McLauchlan. Brendan Valdes would move on all the way to the semifinals after defeating Andrew Clark and then Joshua Stewart. The final two players to advance are JustinRoss who took an easy win of 4&3 against Michael Wu. Lastly, Joshua Pritchet would also move on. Pritchet closed out both his matching without reaching the eighteenth hole. Brendan Valdes played the longest match that extended to 20 holes.
The semifinal bracket consists of two matches played between Chloe Schiavone and Carolin Patterson, and Skylee Shin and Celeste Valinho. Schiavone took a commanding lead and won her match 5&4. Shin and Valinho battled it out all throughout the day and had to take the match to two more holes. Shin won the twentieth hole to advance into the finals. Schiavone and Shin will be playing in the final match.
In the boy’s side, Andrew McLauchlan and Brendan Valdes played the first match of the day. It was steady play for both boys. McLauchlan took the win 1 up. The second match was played between Justin Ross and Joshua Pritchett. While both played shot for shot in the beginning, Pritchett began an impress closing streak and won 3&1.
Schiavone and Shin began the final match of the competition early Thursday morning. Schiavone made the first move of the day as she birdies the first and third hole to get to 3 up after three holes. She then extended her lead to 4 up after nine holes. Shin tried to fight her way back with a birdie on the fourteenth hole to keep the match going. Shin would still be three down with four more to play. After both players made pars on the next two holes, the match was set. Schiavone won 3&2. This is Schiavone’s second win this season as she was previously crowned the Girls Junior Champion. Great playing by both Shiavone and Shin. Schiavone will also be representing Florida in the Southeastern Challenge Matches.
The boy’s final match was played between McLauchlan and Pritchett. Pritchett took an early lead after birdying the first hole. However, McLauchlan birdied the next hole. It was then a tight race with both players fighting not to make mistakes. The first nine holes saw McLauchlan 2 up. McLauchlan kept up his steady play in the back nine to stay in the lead even with Pritchett’s two birdies. The match was finalized on the seventeenth hole as McLauchlan made a par against Pritchett’s bogey. McLauchlan won 2&1. Great playing this week by both competitors.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Boys (13-15)||6,694 yds. 73.3/129|
|Girls (13-18)||5,846 yds. 74.6/127|
|Hot and Humid||91 °F|
Junior Match Play Championship
Boys 13-15 & Girls 13-18
- 36 holes of individual stroke play to determine 16 male and 16 female qualifiers for match play.
- Stroke play portion ranked by Junior Golf Scoreboard.
- A tie for last qualifier's place with be decided immediately by a hole-by-hole play-off.
- For purposes of determining places in the draw, ties in qualifying rounds will be decided by a blind draw.
- In the event of a tied match, the stipulated round is deemed to extend to as many holes as are required for a match to be won.
Championship Field Size
- Maximum of 84 players
- Female or Male amateur golfer
- Florida Resident
- Females 13-18 years of age as of the last day of the Championship and males 13-15 years of age as of the last day of the Championship
- Entrant is not required to be a member of the FSGA
- All players must compete in the Age Division commensurate with their age as of the last day of the Championship - No players are allowed to play out of their Age Division
- Entrant must not have reached their 19th birthday as of the last day of the Championship and not attending college if graduated from high school. See exception here.
- $110 GHIN Members or Foundation Member
- $120 Non-GHIN Members
Late entries are subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
Entries will be accepted based upon the order of receipt. Entries received after the competitive field is full or after the close of entries, will be placed on an alternates list. Alternates will be contacted in the order of receipt of entry, if and when, a spot becomes available.
Schedule of Events & Seeding
Monday, July 16th
- Tee times 7:30 - 9:27 AM off #1 and #10 tees
- Round one of seeding round: 18-holes of individual stroke play
Tuesday, July 17th
- 8:00 AM Shotgun start
- Round two of seeding round: 18-holes of individual stroke play
- The field is cut to the low 16 (Boys) and 16 (Girls). The boys & girls will play their first round match in the afternoon off of #1 & #10.
- A play-off will be held immediately after the seeding round to determine the last qualifier's place in the Championship if necessary. Starting times will be posted on the scoreboard, players will have approximately 30 minutes before their matches
Wednesday, July 18th
- Quarterfinal Matches: Tee Times 7:30 - 8:45 AM off #1 tee
- Semi-Final Matches: Tee Times 12:00 - 1:00 PM off #1 tee
- Afternoon starting times will be posted on the scoreboard - Players will have approximately 30 minutes between their second and third round matches
Thursday, July 19th
- Tee Times 7:30 & 7:45 AM off #1 tee
- The Girl's and Boy's final 18-hole match
Scheduling of matches may be adjusted due to weather and field sizes
The golf course will be set-up at approximately:
- 6,500-6,700 yards (Boys 13-15)
- 5,800-6,000 yards (All girls)
- Boys 13-15 - Championship bracket of 16 players after the 36-hole stroke play qualifying rounds
- Girls 13-18 - Championship bracket of 16 players after the 36-hole stroke play qualifying rounds
Flight sizes may be adjusted to accommodate entries
World & National Rankings
AJGA Performance Based Entry (PBE)
- The two finalists receive 2 performance stars
- Champion receives 8 performance stars
- Runner-up receives 4 performance stars
- Semi-finalists receive 1 performance star
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the championship. Practice rounds may be played after 12:00 PM on Saturday and Sunday. The price for a practice round is $30.00 + tax. Please call 239-482-8378 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
Boys 13-15 - Brett Roberts
Girls 13-18 - Madison Heideman
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Next year's Boys' Junior Championship
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are not allowed.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Conditions of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Host Hotel and Accommodations
Ritz-Carlton Golf Resort, Naples
$125+tax per night - Call (877) 557-3092 to book your room by 6/29 and reference FSGA Junior Match Play Room Block
The Forest Country Club accepts credit card only.
The Forest Country Club
6100 Partridge Club Rd.
Fort Myers, FL 33908