Florida Open Championship
July 19-21, 2013
McCumber Wins 67th Florida Open
Tyler McCumber captures the 67th Florida Open Championship firing a tournament total of 12-under par at Quail Valley Golf Club and Orchid Island Golf & Beach Club in Vero Beach on July 19-21.
Tyler McCumber (pictured right), of Ponte Vedra Beach, came out on top of the field of 156 players at the 67th Florida Open Championship. McCumber posted a 3-under par 69 during the first round at Orchid Island, four off the lead from Justin McCarraher and Nyasha Mauchaza. After round two at Quail Valley, McCumber was just one stroke off the lead, from Mauchaza with an 8-under par, going into the final round. McCumber, who started his round from the tenth hole, carded an even par on the back, then finished strong with four birdied on the front to shoot a 68.
In the final round, McCumber was consistent on the front, carding six pars and three birdies on holes 3, 6 and 7. Heading into the back nine, he picked up momentum with four straight birdies on holes 11-14. McCumber chipped in from the front of the green on the par 3 12th, expanding his lead to four. His next two birdies then further separated him from the field. After a difficult bunker shot from of the 18th fairway, McCumber finished his victorious round at 12-under par, capturing the title by two strokes over Nyasha Mauchaza. McCumber's excellent putting helped him to capture the title, "I felt really comfortable all day, I was hitting it well and putting very well. It was great to finally see my putting come around." The 67th Florida Open marks McCumber's first win as a professional.
Round 1 and 2 leader, Nyasha Mauchaza, of Port Saint Lucie, captured second place with a three round total of 10-under par 206, carding an impressive 65 in his final round. Robert Geibel, of Pembroke Pines, finished as the low amateur with a total of 7-under par 209.The Defending Champion, Chase Seiffert, of Panama City, finished tied for third with a three round total of 9-under par, after his rounds of 71-66-70. Full Story
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Quail Valley||7,325 yds.|
|Orchid Island||7,126 yds.|
|Partly Cloudy||84 °F|
|Weather Delays||86 °F|
|Scattered Clouds||85 °F|
Entries Close Wednesday June 12, 2013
The 2013 Florida Open returns to Quail Valley Country Club in Vero Beach. The Florida Open allows the best amateurs in the state to compete against golf professionals living in Florida. Quail Valley is one of the finest conditioned golf course anywhere, and the service from the Quail Valley staff is second to none. In addition to hosting the 2009 Florida Open, Quail Valley has hosted numberous FSGA Championships and the 2011 US Open Sectional. Set to co-host this Championship with Quail Valley is the Orchid Island Golf & Beach Club, which has also hosted FSGA Championships and US Open Local Qualifying.
The Florida Open has a rich history that dates back to 1942 with Lou Broward winning the first championship. Click here to read more about the historic event and its past Champions.
Professionals and Amateurs can qualify for the Championship through local qualifying. Exemptions are available through State Amateur Championships & PGA Section Events.
Fifty-four (54) holes of individual stroke play. The field will be cut to the low sixty (60) and ties after thirty-six holes. The lowest score for 54 holes will be the Champion.
Schedule of Events
Friday, July 19th
- 8:00 AM - 9:48 AM - Round One tee times off of #1 and #10 at Quail Valley Golf Club
- 8:00 AM - 9:48 AM - Round One tee times off of #1 and #10 at Orchid Island Golf & Beach Club
Saturday, July 20th
- 8:00 AM - 9:48 AM - Round Two tee times off of #1 and #10 at Quail Valley Golf Club
- 8:00 AM - 9:48 AM - Round Two tee times off of #1 and #10 at Orchid Island Golf & beach Club
- The field will be cut to low 60 players and ties after the completion of play
Sunday, July 21st
- 8:00 AM - Final Round tee times begin off of #1 and #10 at Quail Valley Golf Club
- Awards ceremony immediately following the completion of play
Championship Field Size
The golf course will be set-up at approximately 6,900-7,300 yards.
18 holes stroke play at 16 sites. Click here.
Players may submit one entry for the Florida Open and choose the site at which they will attempt to qualify. However, if any site requires adjustment (including, but not limited to, the receipt of more entries than can be accommodated), players will be transferred to another site based on their preference listed on the entry application and date of receipt of entry application (i.e. later applicants will be subject to transfer).
Open to Professional and Amateur golfers who are residents of Florida since January 1st, and who have NOT played professionally in more than (6) "major" tour events or, more than (18) "one or two-day" type mini-tour events in the 12-months prior to the Championship. Click to see Eligibility for a list of professional tours that count towards these limits, and for more details. If you have any questions about your eligibility, it is the player's responsibility to review the guidelines and to contact the FSGA office as needed to ensure eligibility. Ineligible applicants will not receive refunds. Click here to view FSGA Tournament Policies.
$75,000 (see estimated purse pay-out (Click here) 1st Place - $12,000
|Qualifying Fee||Championship Fee|| Exempt Fee
Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the qualifying field. Players who advance to the Championship through local qualifying must pre-register and remit the appropriate Championship Fee online at www.fsga.org under the "My Account" section, which can be located in the top right hand corner of the web-page. Payment must be received by Monday, July 15 by 12:00 PM or the individual will be withdrawn from the Championship. Championship fee includes competitive round lunches, golf, cart fees and range balls plus a player's badge and tee gift.
To pre-register online:
- Log on to the FSGA website at www.fsga.org using your email address and password
- Click on "My Account" in the upper right hand corner of the homepage
- Under "My Tournaments", click on the "Pre-Register" button to the right of the tournament name
- Enter your credit card information and then click the "Charge My Card" button on the bottom right hand corner of the page
Exempt Player's Fee
- $300 for Professionals
- $200 for Amateurs
- Exempt Fee includes Championship Fee and Entry Fee for those individuals eligible for exemption.
Chase Seiffert, of Panama City, won the Florida Open Championship shooting a 66-64-63--193 at The Ritz-Carlton Members Club and Sara Bay Country Club. For more information on last year's Florida Open, click here.
Cart and Caddie Policy
Players have the option of walking or they may rent a cart. Only a player or his caddie may ride in a cart but not both at the same time. (Cart fees at qualifying site not to exceed $25 per player)
Cart fees are included in the Championship Fee for all competitive rounds of the Championship. Only a player or his caddie may ride in a cart but not both at the same time. Players may ride, carry their bag or have a caddie at the Championship, however no refunds will be given for unused cart fees and players choosing to walk must adhere to the established FSGA Pace of Play Policy.
Practice Rounds - Cart fees, if charged, are the responsibility of the player.
All players play eighteen holes each at Quail Valley Golf Club and Orchid Island Golf & Beach Club on Friday, July 19th and Saturday, July 20th. The field will be cut to the low sixty and ties after thirty-six holes. The final eighteen holes will be played at Quail Valley Golf Club on Sunday, July 21st.
If necessary, there will be a three-hole aggregate score play-off for champion. If the play-off results in a tie, play will immediately continue, hole by hole. It is the player’s responsibility to be present for any playoff.
Practice Round and Practice Information - Championship
Practice rounds will be available to the competitors one week in advance of the competition on a space available basis. Practice rounds are restricted to after 12:00 PM on the weekend prior to the Championship. The cost of practice rounds is $25 plus tax. Players will be responsible for direct payment of any fees for the practice rounds.
Starting times for your practice round can be arranged by calling host facilities.
The Quail Valley Golf Club telephone number is (772) 299-0093
The Orchid Island Golf & Beach Club telephone number is (772) 388-9393
Players will be allowed to practice after their practice round on Wednesday & Thursday and after each competitive round.
You may not make your practice round tee time before qualifying is completed. Weather permitting, qualifying concludes. A list of players will be faxed to the club following the conclusion of qualifying.
Players in the following categories will be eligible for exemption provided they meet all entry and eligibility requirements.
- Last five year's Florida Open Champions
- Professionals finishing top ten and tied of last year’s Florida Open Championship
- Host Club’s Representative
- Current year’s SFPGA Open Champion
- Last year’s Dixie and SFPGA Professional Champion
- Current year’s Southeast PGA Classic Champion
- Last year’s NFPGA PNC Champion
- Last year’s Dixie, NFPGA and SFPGA Section Champions
- Last year’s Dixie, NFPGA and SFPGA Section Senior (regular division) Champion
- Last year’s Dixie, NFPGA and SFPGA Section Chapter Champions
- Last year’s Dixie, NFPGA and SFPGA Section Assistant Champions
- Last year’s Dixie Section Match Play Champion
- Current year’s NFPGA Section Match Play Champion
- Last year’s Dixie, NFPGA and SFPGA Section Senior (Regular Division) Player of the Year
- Last year’s top five and tied on the final Dixie, NFPGA and SFPGA Section Player of the Year Points List
- Last five year's Florida Open Champions
- Amateurs finishing in the top ten and tied of last year’s Florida Open
- Current Year’s Amateur Champion
- Last two year’s Amateur Champions
- Last year’s top five and tied Amateur Championship finishers
- Last year’s top five and tied on the final FSGA Player of the Year Points List
- Last year’s Junior Amateur Player of the Year
- Last year’s Senior Amateur Player of the Year
- Last year’s Boys Junior Champion (16-18 age division)
- Last year’s Amateur Match Play Champion
- Last year’s Mid-Amateur Champion
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Next five Florida Opens
Amateurs finishing in the top ten and tied
- Next year's Florida Open
- Current year's Mid-Amateur Championship
- Next year's Amateur Championship
- Next year's Amateur Match Play Championship
Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into the Championship.
Please click the View Hotels tab in the Tournament Links section for hotels in the Vero Beach area.
- Proper attire for competitors and caddies is required at all times at the golf facility. Failure to comply may result in withdrawal of entry.
- Golf Shorts are permitted
- All hats must be worn properly.
- Collared shirts or shirts specifically designed for golf must be worn and tucked in at all times.
- This code supplements any course or club guidelines, which shall take precedence.
Refunds, Notice of Withdrawals
Requests for entry refunds received prior to entry closing date will be honored (less $20 per entry administrative fee. Requests received after the closing date will be honored (less 50% of entry fee). No requests will be honored within 48 hours of the first scheduled tee time. Requests for refunds or Exempt or Championship fees prior to the pre-registration deadline will be honored (less $20 per entry administrative fee). No requests will be honored after the per-registration deadline.
Publicity and Promotion; Broadcasting
By participating in FSGA Events you grant the FSGA and those acting with the FSGA, permission, authority and the permanent rights to use your name or likeness for publicity and promotional purposes. Participants understand that all Media, including film, photographic prints, audio or digital files are the exclusive property of the FSGA. Participants in FSGA events waive their rights to inspect or approve all media produced by the FSGA and those acting on the FSGA's behalf. Participants waive their permanent rights to compensation for use of their name and likeness by the FSGA.
FSGA Past Champions
Click here to view the Florida State Golf Association's complete Men's Championship history.
Method of Payment
Quail Valley Golf Club and Orchid Island Golf & Beach Club accepts cash, Visa/MasterCard and American Express for payment.
Quail Valley Golf Club
6545 Pinnacle Drive
Vero Beach, FL 32967
Click here for directions
Orchid Island Golf & Beach Club
1 Beachside Drive
Orchid, Florida 32963
Click here for directions