Mid-Amateur Stroke Play Championship
May 2-4, 2014
Don Bell Captures Mid-Am Stroke Play
Don Bell posts nine-under par 135 to capture the weather shortened Mid-Amateur Stroke Play Championship at Sugar Mill Country Club in New Smyrna Beach, on May 2-4.
Don Bell from Port Orange, opened up play on Friday with a flawless round of six-under par 66 to take a two stroke lead into the second round over the Defending Champion, Joe Alfieri of Lutz. Bell’s six-under par round included four birdies and an eagle to go along with no bogies. The second round of play was washed out due to inclement weather, shortening the Championship to 36-holes.
The skies finally cleared up for the final round on Sunday, which saw Bell continue his solid play. Bell opened up his final round with two birdies and no bogies to turn a two-under par 34. Bell kept his foot on the accelerator making birdies on 10 and 12 to extend his lead to four strokes with six holes to play. After making his first bogies of the tournament on 14 and 16, Bell would re-group by making a key birdie on the 17th hole to get his lead back up to four shots entering the final hole of the Championship. After three great shots on the 18th hole, Bell would tap in for his round of three-under par 69 to capture the title by five strokes. Bell has now captured the Mid-Amateur Stroke Play Championship three times in its six year existence.
Joe Alfieri put up a great fight in defense of his title finishing alone in second place. Alfieri fired rounds of 68-74 for a tournament total of four-under par 140. Rob Maddox, of Lynn Haven, finished in third place after his rounds of 75-67. Past Mid-Senior Champion, Peter Wegmann, of Fort Lauderdale, finished in fourth place with a tournament total of one-under par 143.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Mid-Am Tees||6,753 yds.|
|All Day Light Rain||78 °F|
|Saturday cancelled. Event shortened||75 °F|
Entries Close Wednesday, April 16, 2014
$200 per competitor ($190 with GHIN handicap)
The Mid-Amateur Stroke Play Championship provides players 25 years and older a Championship environment without having to compete with juniors and collegiate players. Competitors can use the Championship for either a road trip with the guys or a weekend away with a spouse. Sugar Mill Country Club has played host to numerous FSGA events, including the Mid-Senior and Mid-Amateur Four-Ball. For a look at the 2013 Championship Results click here.
- 54 holes of individual stroke play
- 156 player field size
- The field will be cut to the low 70 and ties after thirty-six holes
- Male amateurs must be age 25 or older as of May 2, 2014, and be a member of the FSGA.
- $190 GHIN or Foundation Member
- $200 Non-GHIN Member
Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
The golf course will be set-up at approximately 6,900 - 7,000 yards.
Schedule of Events
Friday, May 2nd
- 8:00 AM - 9:48 AM - Round One morning tee times off of tee #1 and #10
- 12:30 PM - 2:18 PM - Round One afternoon tee times off of tee #1 and #10
Saturday, May 3rd
- 8:00 AM - 9:48 AM - Round Two morning tee times off of tee #1 and #10
- 12:30 PM - 2:18 PM - Round Two afternoon tee times off of tee #1 and #10
- Field will be cut to low 70 players and ties after play finishes
Sunday, May 4th
- (TBA) 8:00 AM - Final Round tee times begin off of tee #1 and #10
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the championship. Practice rounds may be played after 12:00 PM on the weekend. The price for a practice round is $35.00 + tax. Please call (386) 426-5210 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course is unacceptable.
Carts are included for all competitive rounds. Players are responsible for practice round fees.
Joe Alfieri, of Lutz, went wire-to-wire to post a tournament total of nine-under par 67-71-69--207 to capture the Mid-Amateur Stroke Play Championship at Vero Beach Country Club in Vero Beach, on May 3-5, 2013.
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - If a player employs a caddie, the caddie MUST walk and player's clubs must remain on the golf cart.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Conditions of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
Current year's Amateur Championship
Current year's Amateur Match Play Championship
Current year's Mid-Amateur Championship
Sugar Mill Country Club will accept cash, Visa, Mastercard and American Express for method of payment.
Sugar Mill Country Club
100 Club House Circle
New Smyrna Beach, FL 32168
Click here for directions