West Orange CC (16-18)
February 22-23, 2014
Hitt & Zeng Earn FJT Victories at West Orange
Round 1 saw the field all battling the weather conditions, with just a few groups on the course, play was suspended due to a severe thunderstorm in the area. Play was suspended for 1 hour & 15 minutes. After resumption, clear skies, warm weather and soft conditions lead to some low scores jumping to the front of the pack.
In the Boys Division, Charlie Kennerly, of Jupiter got out a 1 stroke lead over Jake Holt, of West Palm Beach and Linus Lo, of Heathrow, with a 3-under par 68. Meanwhile in the Girls Division, Courtney Zeng, of Orlando, Erica Stoner, of Ocala & Danielle Sawyer, of Canada all shot even par 71 to tie for the lead.
Round 2 saw much better conditions. Starting a few groups ahead of the leaders, Yidong (Terrance) Zhang (73-67--140), of Orlando, posted the low round of the tournament, 67, including birdies on 3, 11, 12, 13, 16 & 17, good enough to tie for 2nd place with Timothy Colanta (72-68--140), of Champions Gate, & Jake Holt (69-71--140). Austin Hitt (70-68--138), of Longwood would make birdies on 6, 10, 13, & 17, leading to a final round 68 and a 2 stroke victory. For Hitt, this was his first Florida Junior Tour victory.
In the final round for the Girls, Courtney Zeng (71-69--140) starting on 10 would use birdies on 13, 16, 5 & 8 en route to a 2 under-par 69, and a 140 total good enough for a 3 stroke victory over co-leader Erica Stoner (71-73--144). Anna Newell (73-72--145), of Tampa, would make birdies on 10, 12, 2 & 6 on her way to a final round 72 and capture 3rd place honors. This was Zeng's first Florida Junior Tour Victory of 2014, following 3 victories in 2013.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Boys 16-18||6,446 yds. 71.5/128|
|Girls 16-18||5,724 yds. 73.7/129|
|Wet, 1 1/2 Hour Weather Delay||84 °F|
|Fog Early, Partly Cloudy, Calm Winds||85 °F|
Entries Open: Wednesday, January 1st
Entry Deadline: Wednesday, January 15th
16-18 Age Division
$95 or $115 entry fee (GHIN vs non-GHIN price)
Membership is required
NOTE: Cash is NOT accepted at West Orange Country Club. All purchases must be made with a credit card.
West Orange Country Club is located approximately seven miles north of Disney World in Winter Garden. The course was built in 1967 and the par 71 layout was rebuilt in 2006. Home of the West Orange Invitational, West Orange welcomes the best amateurs of Central Florida each November. Over the years West Orange has hosted many mini tour events including the Hooters Tour.
Click here to view the club's website.
- 36 holes of individual stroke play
- 84 total players (typically 66 boys and 18 girls)
- 16-18 age division (age calculated by the last day of the tournament)
Divisions and Approximate Yardages
- Boys 16-18 Age Division - 6,900 yards (gross only)
- Girls 16-18 Age Division - 6,000 yards (gross only)
How Entries are Accepted
- Players with an unused FJT exemption will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis (if submitted before the entry deadline).
- Players without an FJT exemption - all other entries are held until the entry closing date. Shortly after the closing date, a computer-generated random draw is performed to determine which entries are accepted, and the order of the alternates. All players are notified of their status after the random draw is conducted,
- An alternates list will be posted to the FJT website under "Tee Times & Player Information".
- Entries submitted after the entry deadline will be added to the bottom of the alternates list or used to fill any openings in the field.
Click here for more details.
How to Enter
Entries must be submitted through the FSGA website. To enter, each player must have an account on this website (free to setup), and a current FJT Junior Membership ($40). Click "Enter" above in the Tournament Links box.
The entry fee of $95 (for GHIN handicap members) or $115 (non-GHIN handicap members) includes tournament rounds, range balls prior to tournament rounds, crystal trophies for the top three finishers, and a tee gift.
To receive the GHIN handicap price, the player, or one of the player's parents must have an active GHIN handicap at a club in Florida. The seven digit GHIN number must be included and active when the entry is submitted. Click on the Handicaps tab above in the main menu for more information.
Late Fee: A late fee of $10 will be applied to entries received after the entry deadline. The entry fee and late fee will only be charged if the player gets accepted into the tournament field.
Schedule of Events
Saturday, February 22nd
9:30 AM - 12:30 PM - Tournament Registration (near pro shop)
11:00 AM - 12:57 PM - Round one tee times off the 1st and 10th tees
Sunday, February 23rd
7:45 AM - 9:42 AM - Final round tee times off the 1st and 10th tees
Approximately 3:00 PM - Awards presentation
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the tournament on a space-available basis. Times times are only available after 12:00 noon the weekend prior. The price for a practice round is $30.00 + tax. Please call 407-656-4882 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course, not filling divots, and not repairing ball marks are unacceptable and may cause removal from the tournament without a refund.
Players are not allowed to drive golf carts (must be 18 years old to drive a cart).
AJGA Performance Based Entry (PBE)
- Winner receives 8 performance stars
- Top five finishers receive 4 performance stars
- Winner receives 8 performance stars
- Top three finishers receive 4 performance stars
- Ranked by Junior Golf Scoreboard and GolfWeek
- Walking - players must walk during tournament rounds
- Spectators & Carts - Spectators are allowed. Spectator carts are available first-come, first-served at $20 + tax per day, per cart Click here
- Caddies - Caddies are not allowed
- Range Finders (Electronic Measuring Devices) - are allowed (see Local Rules link below)
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here
- Local Rules and Conditions of Competition - Click here
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this tournament.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The
decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Hotel & Accommodations
A host hotel has not been arranged at this time. There are several hotels in the Winter Garden area. Use the "Hotels" link above in the Tournament Links box or search on the internet. Please note the cancellation policies before making any reservations.
West Orange Country Club
3300 West Orange Country Club Dr.
Winter Garden, FL 34787
Click for Map