FJT at Sugar Mill CC (16-18)
September 10-11, 2016
Sugar Mill FJT (16-18) Champions
Boys' Champion - Brandon Mancheno | Girls' Champion - Siyan Chen
RECAP - The Florida Junior Tour was in New Smyrna Beach at Sugar Mill Country Club on September 10-11. Beautiful weather conditions and pure greens allowed players to attack the course all weekend resulting in numerous low rounds.
In the boys’ division, there were a total of 7 under-par rounds after the opening round. Jake Grula, of Winter Park, and Cole Castro, of Homestead, led the field after posting rounds of four under-par, 68, on Saturday. Not far behind sat Thomas Allkins, of Lake Mary, and Brandon Mancheno, of Jacksonville, tied for third at three under-par. Jacob Penny, of Valrico, would start round two in fifth place after a first round two under-par, 70.
This year’s Girls’ Junior Champion and Girls’ Junior Match Play Champion, Siyan Chen, of Howey-in-the-Hills, had the early lead by three strokes after a first round four under-par, 68, in the girls’ division. Tied for second place with opening rounds of 71, were Macy Somoskey, of Sandford, and Alyssa Lamoureux, of Seminole. Alone in fourth place was Saint Augustine resident, Katherine Jakeway, with an even par first round.
Sunday’s final round crowned Brandon Mancheno victorious for the third time this year on the Florida Junior Tour. Mancheno scored one stroke better in his second round for a 137 total and a win by two strokes! Brandon was two over-par through five holes but started to turn it around with three back-to-back birdies on holes six through eight. Finishing with a second round total of seven birdies, 2015 Junior Player of the Year, Brandon Mancheno finished first. Thomas Allkins carded a final nine holes of two under-par, 34, to finish with a second round 70, tournament total 139. Allkins tied Mancheno in the Boys’ Junior this year and finished two strokes shy of his first FJT victory at Sugar Mill Country Club. Cole Castro rounded out the top three, finishing with an even par 72 for a 140 tournament total.
Siyan Chen is no stranger to winning at Sugar Mill Country Club and with two rounds of 68, she earned her first FJT victory in only her second FJT start. Chen won the Girls’ Junior Match Play at Sugar Mill CC in July and with an eight under-par 136 total won the FJT by eight strokes. Ramya Meenakshisundaram, of Jacksonville, tied the tournament low with a final round 68 to finish tied for second place with Brittany Shin, of Cape Coral. Meenakshisundaram and Shin finished with a 144 even par total. The top three girls posted an under-par final round but Chen was the only girl with an under-par total.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Boys 16-18||6,669 yds. 72/7/133|
|Girls 16-18||5,869 yds. 74.3/129|
|Light Breeze||87 °F|
16-18 Age Division (age calculated on the last day of the tournament)
$95 or $115 entry fee (GHIN vs non-GHIN price)
Membership is required
Sugar Mill Country Club is a member-owned private club. Ideally situated in New Smyrna Beach, one of Florida's finest clubs is located just one hour from Orlando and 15 minutes from the beautiful beaches of the Atlantic coast.
Click here to view the club's website.
- 36 holes of individual stroke play
- 84 total players (typically 66 boys and 18 girls)
- 16-18 age division (age calculate by the last day of the tournament)
Divisions and Approximate Yardages
- Boys 16-18 Age Division - 6,900 yards (gross only)
- Girls 16-18 Age Division - 6,000 yards (gross only)
How Entries are Accepted
- Players with an unused FJT exemption will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis (if submitted before the entry deadline).
- Players without an FJT exemption - all other entries are held until the entry closing date. Shortly after the closing date, a computer-generated random draw is performed to determine which entries are accepted, and the order of the alternates. All players are notified of their status after the random draw is conducted.
- An alternates list will be posted to the FJT website under "Tee Times & Player Information".
- Entries submitted after the entry deadline will be added to the bottom of the alternates list or used to fill any openings in the field.
Click here for more details.
How to Enter
Entries must be submitted through the FSGA website. To enter, each player must have an account on this website (free to setup), and a current FJT Junior Membership ($40). Click "Enter" above in the Tournament Links box.
The entry fee of $95 (for GHIN handicap members) or $115 (non-GHIN handicap members) includes tournament rounds, range balls prior to tournament rounds, crystal trophies for the top three finishers, and a tee gift.
To receive the GHIN handicap price, the player, or one of the player's parents must have an active GHIN handicap at a club in Florida. The seven digit GHIN number must be included and active when the entry is submitted. Click on the Handicaps tab above in the main menu for more information.
Late Fee: A late fee of $10 will applied to entries received after the entry deadline. The entry fee and late fee will only be charged if the player gets accepted into the tournament field.
Schedule of Events
Saturday, September 10th
10:00 AM - 1:30 PM - Tournament Registration (near pro shop)
12:00 PM - 1:57 PM - Round one tee times off the 1st and 10th tees
Sunday, September 11th
7:30 AM - 9:27 AM - Final round tee times off the 1st and 10th tees
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the tournament on a space-available basis. Times times are only available after 12:00 noon the weekend prior. The price for a practice round is $25.00 + tax. Please call (386) 426-5210 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course, not filling divots, and not repairing ball marks are unacceptable and may cause removal from the tournament without a refund.
Players are not allowed to drive golf carts (must be 18 years old to drive a cart).
AJGA Performance Based Entry (PBE)
- Winner receives 8 performance stars
- Top 5 receive 4 performance stars
- Winner receives 8 performance stars
- Top 3 receive 4 performance stars
- Ranked by Junior Golf Scoreboard
- Ranked by Golfweek
- Walking - players must walk during tournament rounds
- Spectators & Carts - Spectators are allowed. Spectators carts are available first-come, first-served at $20 + tax per day, per cart. Click here
- Caddies - Caddies are not allowed
- Range Finders (Electronic Measuring Devices) - are allowed (see Local Rules link below)
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here
- Local Rules and Conditions of Competition - Click here
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this tournament.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The
decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Hotel & Accommodations
Hampton Inn New Smyrna Beach
214 Flagler Avenue
New Smyrna Beach, FL 32169
$114 per room, plus tax, per night.
Must book your reservation by August 26, 2016. Please call 386-898-9444 and mention the FSGA in order to take advantage of this rate.
Sugar Mill Country Club
150 Clubhouse Circle
New Smyrna Beach, FL 32168
Click for Map