June 19-22, 2014
Lench Wins the 97th Amateur
Gabriel Lench erases a three shot deficit to win the 97th Florida State Amateur Championship, firing a tournament total of 6-under par 282 at Quail Valley Golf Club and Hawks Nest Golf Club in Vero Beach, on June 19-22.
Gabriel Lench, 17, of Lake Mary, prevailed over the field of 168 players to capture the 97th Florida State Amateur Championship. In the first round, Lench opened up with a stellar round of 6-under par 66 at Hawks Nest Golf Club. His round included an eagle, six birdies and only two bogeys. Playing his second round at Quail Valley Golf Club, Lench would grab the lead after his 3-under par round of 69, taking a two shot lead into the weekend. Lench struggled on Saturday, but managed a round of three-over par 75. With a 54-hole total of 6-under par 210, Lench would trail the leader, Edward Figueroa, of Naples, by three strokes heading into Sunday.
In the final round Lench played a solid front nine turning at even par 36, after one bogey on the difficult fourth hole, and one birdie on the par 5 seventh hole. With a one shot lead heading into the back nine, Lench would expand his lead to four shots after birdies on 10 and 11. With the Championship in his sights Lench would play the next six holes at one-over par to stand on the 72 hole with a comfortable three shot lead. After two great shots on the last hole of the Championship, Lench would three putt for his bogey 5 to post a round of even par 72, and capture the 97th Amateur Championship. The major key to Lench’s second State Championship title was his dominance of the par 5’s, playing them at 10-under par. Lench, a multiple time winner on the Florida Junior Tour and reigning Junior Match Play Champion, receives a crystal vase and his name inscribed on the Clarence Camp Championship Trophy.
The reigning Boys’ Junior Champion, Jacob Kline, of Saint Augustine, finished alone in second place after rounds of 74-68-71-71, for a tournament total of four-under par 284. Edward Figueroa, of Naples, R J Nakashian, of Palm Beach Gardens, and J D Tomlinson, of Gainesville, finished tied for third place with a tournament total of two-under par 286. Figueroa, the overnight leader, never got anything going on Sunday posting a round of seven-over par 79. The top fifteen plus ties receive an exemption into next year’s Florida State Amateur Championship. Full Story
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Quail Valley||7,403 yds.|
|Hawks Nest||6,965 yds.|
|Light winds. Weather Delay||85 °F|
Entries Close Wednesday, May 7, 2014
The State Amateur Championship is one of the oldest and most prestigious amateur golf championships in the country. This year the Amateur goes to one of the finest conditioned golf courses in the state, Quail Valley Golf Club. In addition to hosting the Florida Open in 2013 and 2009, Quail Valley has also played host to numerous FSGA Championships, the 2011 and 2014 US Open Sectional, and the 2014 US Women's Sectional. Set to co-host this Championship with Quail Valley is Hawk's Nest Golf Club, which has also hosted FSGA Championships and US Open Local Qualifying. For a look at the 2013 Championship Results click here.
- 72 holes of individual stroke play
- All players play 18 holes each at Quail Valley and at Hawk's Nest on Thursday, June 19th and Friday, June 20th
- The field will be cut to the low 70 and ties after 36 holes
- The final 36 holes will be played at Quail Valley
If necessary, there will be a three hole aggregate score play-off for the championship. If the play-off results in a tie, play will immediately continue, hole by hole. It is the player's responsibility to be present for any playoff.
Open to amateur golfers who must be:
- A resident of Florida (reside in Florida at least 4 months per year, have otherwise established legal residency or graduated from a Florida high school and presently attending an out-of-state college)
- A military personnel or a dependent of a military personnel based in Florida on active duty
- Must have a handicap no higher than 11.4
|Qualifying Fee||Championship Fee|| Exempt Fee
- Qualifying Fee: Qualifying Fee includes Entry Fee and cart fee.
- Championship Fee: Fee paid by those individuals who advance to the Championship through qualifying. Includes tee gifts and gift certificates, course and cart fees, and range balls.
- Exempt Fee: Exempt Fee includes Championship Fee and Entry Fee for those individuals eligible for exemption.
Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the qualifying field.
Those individuals who advance to the Championship through qualifying must pre-register and remit an additional $135 either online at the FSGA website at www.fsga.org or by check to the FSGA office for advance payment of Championship Fees. Payment must be received by Friday, June 13 by 3:30 pm, or the individual will be withdrawn from the Championship. Championship Fee includes cart fees for all competitive rounds.
- Log on to the FSGA website at www.fsga.org using your email address and password
- Click on "My Account" in the upper right hand corner of the homepage
- Under "My Tournaments", click on the "Pre-Register" button to the right of the tournament name
- Enter your credit card information and then click the "Charge My Card" button on the bottom right hand corner of the page
Schedule of Events
Thursday, June 19th
- 8:00 AM - 9:57 AM - Round One tee times off of #1 and #10 at Quail Valley
- 8:00 AM - 9:57 AM - Round One tee times off of #1 and #10 at Hawk's Nest
Friday, June 20th
- 8:00 AM - 9:57 AM - Round Two tee times off of #1 and #10 at Quail Valley
- 8:00 AM - 9:57 AM - Round Two tee times off of #1 and #10 at Hawk's Nest
- After the completion of play the field will be cut to low 70 players and ties
Saturday, June 21st
- 8:00 AM - Round Three tee times off of #1 and #10 at Quail Valley
Sunday, June 22nd
- 8:00 AM - Final Round tee times off of #1 and #10 at Quail Valley
- Awards ceremony immediately following the completion of play
Championship Field Size
The golf course will be set-up at approximately 6,900-7,300 yards.
18 holes stroke play at 14 qualifying sites. During qualifying, each player must use a golf cart. Caddies are acceptable, but he/she may not ride in a golf cart or carry the player's clubs. Players are responsible for cart fees for all practice rounds.
Sam Horsfield, of Davenport, won the Amateur Championship by an impressive 11 strokes, shooting a 72-67-72-67--278 at the Jupiter Hills Club in Tequesta.
During qualifying and the Championship proper, each player must use a golf cart which is included in the qualifying and championship entry fees.
Qualifying Practice Round Cart Fees
Players must pay for practice round cart fees at qualifying sites and at the Championship.
Championship Practice Rounds and Practice Facility
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the Championship on a space available basis at each facility. Practice rounds are restricted to after 9 AM on the weekend prior to the Championship. Hawks Nest Golf Club, and it's practice facility, are closed on Tuesday, June 17th to all players.
The cost of the practice round, including range balls and cart, is $30 plus tax at both clubs. Players are allowed one practice round per course. Only exempt and qualifying participants may play practice rounds. Alternates are not extended practice privileges. Please call (772) 299-0093 (Quail Valley) and (772) 569-9402 (Hawk's Nest) to schedule a practice round.
Players in the following categories will be eligible for exemption provided they meet all entry and eligibility requirements:
NOTE: Blank entries will be filed by the FSGA for players who become exempt after the close of entries.
- Previous Amateur Champions
- Top 200 and tied from last year's final World Amateur Golf Rankings
- Top 15 and tied from last year's Amateur Championship
- Top 20 and tied from last year's final Player of the Year Points List
- Last year's Boys Junior Champion (16-18 Age Division)
- Last year's Boys Junior Champion (13-15 Age Division)
- Last year's Amateur Match Play Champion
- Current year's Mid-Amateur Stroke Play Champion
- Current year's Amateur Public Links Champion
- Last year's Mid-Senior Champion
- Current year's Senior Amateur Champion
- Last three year's Mid-Amateur Champions
- Last year's Mid-Amateur Championship Semifinalists
- Last year's Florida Open Low Amateur
- Last year's Junior Player of the Year
- Current year's final Winter Series Mid-Senior (40-54) Points Leader
- Last year's FHSAA Boys Class 1A Individual Champion
- Last year's FHSAA Boys Class 2A Individual Champion
- Last year's FHSAA Boys Class 3A Individual Champion
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Lifetime Amateur Championship
- Next five Mid-Amateur Championships
- Next three Amateur Match Play Championships
- Next two Florida Open Championships
Top five and tied finishers
- Current year's Mid-Amateur Championship
- Current year's Amateur Match Play Championship
- Next year's Florida Open
Top fifteen and tied finishers
- Next year's Amateur Championship
Player's making the cut
- Next year's Boys' Junior Championship
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - If a player employs a caddie, the caddie MUST walk and player's clubs must remain on the golf cart.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Conditions of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the
Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
A special thanks goes to the Palm Beach County Sports Commission. Click here to view website.
Quail Valley Golf Club accepts cash and Visa/MasterCard & Hawk's Nest Golf Club accept cash, Visa/MasterCard and AmEx for payment.
Quail Valley Golf Club
6545 Pinnacle Drive
Vero Beach, FL 32967
Hawk's Nest Golf Club
6005 Old Dixie Hwy
Vero Beach, FL 32967
Click here for directions