Timacuan G&CC (16-18)
December 5-6, 2015
Justice & Baxendale Prevail at Timacuan!
The last Florida Junior Tour event of 2015 experienced constant rain and windy conditions in Lake Mary during round one, making the course play difficult. Through spurts of heavy rain and wind, two players in the Boys’ 16-18 division posted red numbers. Sorrento resident, Daniel Core carded an impressive four under-par, 68, to take the early lead. Core started his round on the back-nine and birdied holes 15 and 16 for a 35, which he followed up with birdies on holes 1, 2, 5, and 7 for a final nine-hole score of 33. Three-strokes behind in second place was the second under-par score, one under-par 71, shot by Zack Justice of Orlando. Linus Samuelsson and Patrick Poate, followed the leaders in third place after a round one even-par score.
In the Girls’ 16-18 division, Morgan Baxendale and Xin (Cindy) Kou battled through the wet and windy conditions to finish tied for first place after round one. Both girls reside in Windermere and posted an even-par score on Saturday. Katie You, who recently earned a win at Bent Pine Golf Club, sat alone in third place with a first round one over-par, 73. There would be a close race at the top during round two for the win and a spot in the 2015 Tour Championship.
Round two brought sunny skies and a light breeze making conditions less difficult. Daniel experienced a tough day and struggled to a final round 78, tournament total 146, and a drop to second place. Zack prevailed and came out on top finishing with a 74 in the final round after consistent nine-hole scores of 37-37. This is Zack’s first FJT win (71-74—145), which he has been chasing with many top finishes in the past. Justice summed up his final round, “I just played better today and battled it out harder than anyone else. It was not easy out there.” Tommy Cao, of Lake Mary finished in third place with rounds of 73-75—148 and Linus followed in fifth place with a tournament total 149.
Morgan Baxendale held on to finish solo in first place after rounds of 38-37 for a final round 75. She battled to a two-stroke win with a tournament total 147. Amy Zhang came from behind with a second round 72 to tie Xin (Cindy) Kou for second place with a tournament total 149. Kou faltered in the final round to a five over-par 77. Katie You moved to fourth place after a second round 78 and tournament total 151.
Baxendale and Justice will be playing again next weekend in the Tour Championship after earning a spot due to their win in Lake Mary. This
will be Zack’s first appearance at the Tour Championship due to his one-stroke victory. Morgan states, “I haven’t played in the Tour Championship in two or three years so it’s good to go into it fresh off of a win.” The Tour Championship will be held at Walt Disney World Golf in Lake Buena Vista, December 12-13 to end another fantastic year on the Florida Junior Tour!
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Boys 16-18||6,930 yds. 72.7/126|
|Girls 16-18||6,031 yds. 74.6/137|
|Scattered Clouds and Light Rain. 15-20 mph wind gusts.||68 °F|
|Light Breeze||72 °F|
Entries Open: Wednesday, October 14th
Entry Deadline: Wednesday, October 28th
16-18 Age Division
$95 or $115 entry fee (GHIN vs non-GHIN price)
Membership is required
The FJT returns to Timacuan Golf & Country Club in December 2015, this time for the 16-18 year old division. Timacuan is a par 72 Ron Garl design that can stretch over 7,000 yards. A strategic gem, the golfer must use extreme precision with his/her tee shots and irons if he/she is looking for success. Being prepared mentally is as important as being prepared physically when taking on this Central Florida track. Located in Lake Mary, which is just northeast of Orlando on I-4, Timacuan makes for an easy commute for nearly all golfers in Florida.
- 36 holes of individual stroke play
- 84 total players (typically 66 boys and 18 girls)
- 16-18 age division (age calculated by the last day of the tournament)
Divisions and Approximate Yardages
- Boys 16-18 Age Division - 6,900 yards (gross only)
- Girls 16-18 Age Division - 6,000 yards (gross only)
How Entries are Accepted
- Players with an unused FJT exemption will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis (if submitted before the entry deadline).
- Players without an FJT exemption - all other entries are held until the entry closing date. Shortly after the closing date, a computer-generated random draw is performed to determine which entries are accepted, and the order of the alternates. All players are notified of their status after the random draw is conducted,
- An alternates list will be posted to the FJT website under "Tee Times & Player Information".
- Entries submitted after the entry deadline will be added to the bottom of the alternates list or used to fill any openings in the field.
Click here for more details.
How to Enter
Entries must be submitted through the FSGA website. To enter, each player must have an account on this website (free to setup), and a current FJT Junior Membership ($40). Click "Enter" above in the Tournament Links box.
The entry fee of $95 (for GHIN handicap members) or $115 (non-GHIN handicap members) includes tournament rounds, range balls prior to tournament rounds, crystal trophies for the top three finishers, and a tee gift.
To receive the GHIN handicap price, the player, or one of the player's parents must have an active GHIN handicap at a club in Florida. The seven digit GHIN number must be included and active when the entry is submitted. Click on the Handicaps tab above in the main menu for more information.
Late Fee: A late fee of $10 will applied to entries received after the entry deadline. The entry fee and late fee will only be charged if the player gets accepted into the tournament field.
Schedule of Events
Saturday, December 5th
9:30 AM - 12:00 PM - Tournament Registration (near pro shop)
11:00 AM - 12:57 PM - Round one tee times off the 1st and 10th tees
Sunday, December 6th
7:30 AM - 9:27 AM - Final round tee times off the 1st and 10th tees
Approximately 3:00 PM - Awards presentation
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the tournament on a space-available basis. Times times are only available after 12:00 noon the weekend prior. The price for a practice round is $35.00 + tax. Please call 407-321-0010 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course, not filling divots, and not repairing ball marks are unacceptable and may cause removal from the tournament without a refund.
Players are not allowed to drive golf carts (must be 18 years old to drive a cart).
AJGA Performance Based Entry (PBE)
- Winner receives 8 performance stars
- Top five finishers receive 4 performance stars
- Winner receives 8 performance stars
- Top three finishers receive 4 performance stars
- Ranked by Junior Golf Scoreboard
- Walking - players must walk during tournament rounds
- Spectators & Carts - Spectators are allowed. Spectator carts are available first-come, first-served at $25 + tax per day, per cart Click here
- Caddies - Caddies are not allowed
- Range Finders (Electronic Measuring Devices) - are allowed (see Local Rules link below)
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here
- Local Rules and Conditions of Competition - Click here
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this tournament.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The
decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Hotel & Accommodations
Orlando Marriott Lake Mary
1501 International Parkway
Lake Mary, FL 32746
$109 plus tax, per room, per night
Book by November 13, 2015 to take advantage of rate.
Click here for Booking Link or specify "Florida State Golf Association Room Block" when booking.
Timacuan Golf & Country Club
550 Timacuan Boulevard
Lake Mary, FL 32746
Click for Map