Florida Senior Open Championship
August 12-14, 2016
Weeks Crowned Champion
Lee Rinker, of Jupiter entered the final round with a two stroke lead over 2010 Florida Senior Open Champion Gene Fieger, of Naples. Fieger would be the first to tie for the lead after birding the 1st & 3rd hole. However, Rinker would quickly take the lead back with a birdie on 4.
Michael Weeks (a), of Jupiter playing a group ahead of the leaders would birdie the 1st & 2nd to get to -3 to slide up the leaderboard. Eight consecutive pars on 3-10 would see him still sitting 2 behind Rinker. Weeks would make closing birdies on 11, 14 and 17, and narrowly miss on 18 to post -6 for the Championship and a bogey free 67.
Rinker would only make one bogey and one birdie from holes 5-17. Sitting in the 18th fairway, with a wedge in hand, Rinker hit it hole high about 20 feet left of the hole, with a putt to tie Weeks at -6, he would narrowly miss, finishing at -5 for the Championship with a closing 71.David Good, of Lakeland, also playing in the final group would post a bogey-free 68 (-4), including a birdie on 18 to tie for second and share the low professional purse with Lee Rinker.
Gene Fieger's final round 72 would see him fall short in his quest for a second title, finishing solo 4th.
Defending Champion, Eduardo Herrera, of Windermere finished T7.
This is Weeks second FSGA Championship, adding to his 2011 FSGA Mid-Senior Championship he captured at his home club, Bear Lakes Golf & Country Club.
The 40th Florida Senior Open, conducted by the Florida State Golf Association & South Florida PGA Section saw over 300 players try to qualify over 8 qualifying sites across the state, setting a field of 78 Amateur & 78 Professionals who competed over 54 holes at Willoughby Golf Club & Sailfish Point Golf Club in Stuart.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Sailfish Black||6,653 yds. 72.9/133|
|Willoughby Black||6,521 yds. 73.0/138|
|Warm and sunny||89 °F|
The 40th Florida Senior Open heads to Stuart in August of 2016 and will be played at Willoughby Golf Club and Sailfish Point Golf Club. Each player will play 18 holes on each course before a 36 hole cut is made. The final round will be held at Willoughby Golf Club. For players to compete in the Florida Senior Open, they need to be 50 years old as of the first day of the Championship. For a look at the 2015 Championship Results click here.
Exemptions may be earned though State Amateur Championships and PGA Section Events. (See Exemptions listed at the bottom of this page)
- 156 player field size
- 54 holes of individual stroke play
- The field is cut to the low 60 and ties after 36 holes
- The lowest score for 54 holes is the Champion
- Male amateur and professional golfers
- Florida Resident
- At least 50 years of age as of the first day of the Championship
- A valid Handicap Index not exceeding 6.4 at time of entry (amateurs and amateurs awaiting reinstatement only)
- Entrant is not required to be a member of the FSGA
- PGA class A-3 members are ineligible
- Playing Activity - Players that have played in more than 10 select professional tour events are ineligible
|Qualifying Fee||Championship Fee|| Exempt Fee
- Qualifying Fee: Qualifying Fee includes entry fee and cart fee.
- Championship Fee: Fee paid by those individuals who advance to the Championship through qualifying. Includes tee gifts and gift certificates, course and cart fees, and range balls.
- Exempt Fee: Exempt Fee includes Championship Fee and Entry Fee for those individuals eligible for exemption.
Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the qualifying field.
Those players who advance to the Championship through local qualifying must pre-register and remit the appropriate Championship Fee (see above) at www.fsga.org under the "My Account" section, which can be located in the top right hand corner of the web-page. Payment must be received by Tuesday, August 9 by 3:30 PM or the individual will be withdrawn from the Championship.
- Log on to the FSGA website at www.fsga.org using your email address and password
- Click on "My Account" in the upper right hand corner of the homepage
- Under "My Tournaments", click on the "Pre-Register" button to the right of the tournament name
- Enter your credit card information and then click the "Charge My Card" button on the bottom right hand corner of the page
Refunds, Notice of Withdrawals
Requests for qualifying entry refunds received prior to entry closing date will be honored (less $20 per entry administrative fee). Requests received after the closing date will be honored (less 50% of entry fee). No requests will be honored within two days of the scheduled start date.
Requests for refunds of Exempt or Championship fees prior to the pre-registration deadline will be honored (less $20 per entry administrative fee). No requests will be honored after the pre-registration deadline.
$35,000 1st Place - $5,000
Friday, August 12th
- 8:00 AM - 9:48 AM - Round One tee times off #1 and #10 at Willoughby Golf Club
- 8:00 AM - 9:48 AM - Round One tee times off #1 and #10 at Sailfish Point Golf Club
Saturday, August 13th
- 8:00 AM - 9:48 AM - Round Two tee times off #1 and #10 at Willoughby Golf Club
- 8:00 AM - 9:48 AM - Round Two tee times off #1 and #10 at Sailfish Point Golf Club
- After 36 holes are complete, the field will be cut to the low 60 players and ties
Sunday, August 14th
- 8:00 AM - Final Round tee times off #1 and #10 at Willoughby Golf Club
- Awards ceremony immediately following the completion of play
The golf courses will be set-up at approximately 6,600 yards.
18 holes stroke play at 8 qualifying sites.
Early Qualifying Site
The FSGA will conduct an early qualifier, outside of the usual qualifying window, on a test case basis for this year in the area of the Championship. This will be done in response to requests by golf professionals and senior amateurs in the area who normally summer outside of the area but are still in South Florida in the spring. The early qualifying site will be at Hobe Sound Golf Club on March 7, 2016. Due to the course availability, the cost of qualifying at this site will be $20 more than all other sites.
Transferring Qualifying Sites
Players may submit one entry for the Florida Senior Open and choose the site at which they will attempt to qualify. However, if any site requires adjustment (including, but not limited to, the receipt of more entries than can be accommodated), players will be transferred to another site based on their preference listed on the entry application and date of receipt of entry application (i.e. later applicants will be subject to transfer).
Cart and Caddie Policy
During qualifying and the Championship proper, each player must use a golf cart which is included in the qualifying and Championship entry fees. Caddies are allowed, however, a player must not use a parent, step-parent or guardian as a caddie. The caddie MUST walk and the player's clubs must remain on the golf cart.
All players play eighteen holes each at Willoughby Golf Club and Sailfish Point Golf Club, Friday, August 12th and Saturday, August 13th. The field will be cut to the low sixty and ties after 36 holes. The final eighteen holes will be played at Willoughby Golf Club, Sunday, August 14th.
Championship Practice Round and Practice Facility Information
Practice rounds will be available to the competitors one week prior of the competition on a space available basis and after 12:00 PM on the weekends. The cost of practice rounds is $30 plus tax at both Willoughby Golf Club and Sailfish Point Golf Club. Players will be responsible for direct payment of any fees for the practice rounds. To schedule a practice round, call the Willoughby Golf Club golf shop at (772) 220-1192 and the Sailfish Point Golf Club golf shop at (772) 225-1500.
Eduardo Herrera, of Windermere, was victorious at the 39th Florida Senior Open held at Belleair Country Club. Herrera went head to head with Brigham Gibbs in the final round and birdied the last hole to seal the victory with a tournament total 207 (-7).
Players in the following categories will be eligible for exemption provided they meet all entry and eligibility requirements.
- Last five year's Florida Senior Open Champions
- Professionals finishing top ten and tied from last year's Florida Senior Open
- Championship Host Clubs' Representative (may be an amateur)
- Professionals finishing top three and tied from current year's South Florida Senior Open
- Professionals qualifying for the current year's PGA Senior Championship
- Professionals qualifying for the current year's US Senior Open Championship
- Top three and tied from last year's Dixie, NFPGA and SFPGA Section Senior (Regular Division) Championship
- Top five and tied from last year's the final Dixie, NFPGA and SFPGA Section Senior Player of the Year Points List
- Current year's NFPGA Senior Match Play Champion
- Last five year's Florida Senior Open Champions
- Amateurs finishing top ten and tied from last year's Florida Senior Open
- Low Amateur from last year's Florida Senior Open
- Last two year's Senior Amateur Champions
- Current year's Senior Amateur Match Play Champion
- Amateurs finishing top three and tied from current year's South Florida Senior Open
- Low Amateur from current year's South Florida Senior Open
- Top five and tied from current year's Senior Amateur Championship
- Top five and tied from the last year's final FSGA Senior Player of the Year Points List
- Amateurs qualifying for the current year's US Senior Open Championship
- Amateurs qualifying for last year's US Senior Amateur Championship
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Next five Florida Senior Open Championships
- Next year's Florida Open Championship
Players finishing in the top ten and tied
- Next year's Florida Senior Open Championship
- Next year's Senior Amateur Championship
- Current year's Mid-Amateur Championship
- Next year's Florida Senior Open Championship
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - NO SPECTATOR CARTS WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR THIS EVENT DUE TO LIMITED GOLF CART AVAILABILITY AT BOTH CLUBS.
- Caddies - Caddies are allowed in all FSGA Championships except Junior events. However, a player must not use a parent, step-parent or guardian as a caddie. The caddie MUST walk and the player's clubs must remain on the golf cart.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Conditions of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Host Hotel and Accommodations
Hutchinson Island Marriott Beach Resort & Marina
555 NE Ocean Boulevard
Stuart, FL 34996
$119 per room, per night. Click here for details.
- Proper attire for competitors and caddies is required at all times at the golf facility. Failure to comply may result in withdrawal of entry.
- Golf Shorts are permitted
- All hats must be worn properly.
- Collared shirts or shirts specifically designed for golf must be worn and tucked in at all times.
- This code supplements any course or club guidelines, which shall take precedence.
Publicity and Promotion; Broadcasting
By participating in The Florida Senior Open you grant the FSGA/SFPGA and those acting with the FSGA/SFPGA, permission, authority and the permanent rights to use your name or likeness for publicity and promotional purposes. Participants understand that all Media, including film, photographic prints, audio or digital files are the exclusive property of the FSGA/SFPGA. Participants in FSGA/SFPGA events waive their rights to inspect or approve all media produced by the FSGA/SFPGA and those acting on the FSGA's behalf. Participants waive their permanent rights to compensation for use of their name and likeness by the FSGA/SFPGA.
Willoughby Golf Club
3001 Southeast Doubleton Drive
Stuart, FL 34997
Click here for directions
Sailfish Point Golf Club
2203 Southeast Sailfish Point Boulevard
Stuart, FL 34996