West Orange CC (13-15)
February 9-10, 2013
Holt and Mallett Claim FJT Victories
Jake Holt and Victoria Mallett battled through the windy conditions and fast greens to claim medalist honors at this weekend’s Florida Junior Tour (FJT) event for 13-15 year olds at West Orange Country Club in Winter Garden, FL.
This is Victoria’s first FJT event and first trip to the United States. After her impressive even-par 72, she was able to shoot a second-day 75 to earn first place honors. Morgan Baxendale, of Windemere, came in a close second with rounds of 72-78, and Terese Romeo, of Tampa, followed with a 73-78 to finish in third.
Jake Holt, of West Palm Beach, fired consecutive 2-under par rounds for a 4-under, 140 total. Holt claimed a 2-stroke victory over Jack Tianyi Cen who shot 72-70-142. Holt, the only player to finish under par for the event, made six birdies during his exciting round, shooting 35 on both sides. Coming fresh off his victory at Deer Island, Tyler Strafaci finished in third place shooting 70-73.
The next Florida Junior Tour event for the 13-15 age division is March 2-3 at LPGA International Golf Club in Daytona Beach, FL.
Click here to view the full results from the FJT event at West Orange.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Boys 13-15||6,410 yards - 71.3/128|
|Girls 13-15||5,627 yards - 73.2/128|
|Breezy 10-15 mph||78 °F|
Entries Open: Wednesday, December 19th
Entry Deadline: Wednesday, January 2nd
NOTE: Cash is NOT accepted at West Orange Country Club. All purchases must be made with a credit card.
West Orange Country Club is located approximately seven miles north of Disney World in Winter Garden. The course was built in 1967 and the par 71 layout was rebuilt in 2006.
Home of the West Orange Invitational, West Orange welcomes the best amateurs of Central Florida each November. Over the years West Orange has hosted many mini tour events including the Hooters Tour.
Click here to view the club's website.
The tournament is for the 13-15 age division. Ages are calculated by the last day of the tournament.
The entry fee of $95 (for GHIN handicap members) or $115 (non-GHIN handicap members) includes tournament rounds, range balls prior to tournament rounds, crystal trophies for the top three finishers, and a tee gift.
To receive the GHIN handicap price, the player, or one of the players' parents must have an active GHIN handicap at a club in Florida. The seven digit GHIN number must be submitted with the entry.
Late Fee: A late fee of $10 will applied to all entries received after the entry deadline. The entry fee and late fee will only be charged if the player gets accepted into the tournament field. (effective 1/1/13)
Schedule of Play
- Saturday, February 9th: 11:00 AM - 12:57 PM off the 1st and 10th tees
- Sunday, February 10th: 7:45 AM - 9:42 AM off the 1st and 10th tees
Where to Stay
The closest cities with good hotels and restaurants are Ocoee and Clermont. A "host hotel" has not been setup, please use the internet to search for your hotel.
Click on "Hotels" in the Tournament Link box to the right or use the internet to search for deals. Please note any cancellation policies prior to making reservations.
Players can set-up a practice round at a special discounted rate of $30 plus tax which includes a cart by calling 407-656-4882. Practice rounds are available one week prior to the tournament and after 12:00 PM the weekend before. Times are available on a space available basis.
During practice rounds, players are not allowed to play multiple shots off tees or into greens. The playing of multiple shots or slow play may result in the player's removal from the course without a refund.
Walking and Pull/Push Carts
Players must walk and carry their clubs during the competition rounds (pull/push carts are permitted). Caddies are not permitted.
Tees To Play
Tees are not selected until the tournament staff arrives on site. Tournament set-up may change, including yardages, to offset inclement weather or other course conditions (i.e. wet course conditions). Typical yardages are below:
- Boys 13-15 will play approximately 6,450 yards ("the tips")
- Girls 13-15 will play approximately 5,800 yards
This event is ranked by Junior Golf Scoreboard.
AJGA - PBE (Performance Based Entrance)
- Winner receives 1 performance star
- Winner receives 1 performance star
Spectators will be authorized to rent carts, but must follow the Spectator policies. Spectator carts will cost $20 a day, plus tax. Spectator carts may be limited, and are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Male or female amateur golfers that are members of the FJT may apply for entry. Entries are subject to rejection at any time, including during the event. The reason for rejection may include unbecoming behavior. Please see the Code of Conduct for further details.
- Tournament applications must be submitted through the website with valid payment. Telephone and fax requests will not be accepted.
- Applicants must have a current FSGA/FJT membership.
- Entries must be received by of the closing date. Late entries are allowed and will be accepted into the tournament field only on a space available basis.
- Players should read the Tournament Policies and Pace of Play policy.
- Players will receive an e-mail that their entry has been received and a second e-mail will be sent if the player is accepted into the field. As a player is not automatically confirmed into the tournament, travel arrangements should not be made until the second confirmation e-mail is received. Review Tournament Policies for further details.
Field Determination Summary
- Players with an unused FJT exemption will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Players without an FJT exemption - all other entries are held until the entry closing date. Shortly after the closing date, a computer-generated, random draw is performed to determine which entries are accepted, and the order of the alternates. All players are notified of their status after the random draw is conducted,
- An alternates list will be posted to the FJT website under "Tee Times & Player Information".
Click here for further details.
Registration will be available prior to the first round. ALL players are expected to register. General tournament information will be distributed at registration.
Tee Times & Pairings
First round tee times and pairings will be available on the website approximately five weeks prior to the tournament. After the completion of the first round, all competitors will be repaired by score, within their age group, for their next round. Final round pairings will be available approximately one-hour after the final score has been posted. Pairings will be available on the website, at the club, and will be sent via text message. It is the player's responsibility to be at his/her respective starting tee at least 10 minutes prior to teeing off. We recommend that you always see your tee time in black and white (in print), and if you still have questions, please contact an FSGA Official at the host facility.
Range Finders - Electronic distance measuring devices are allowed. (effective December 1st, 2012)
Music - Phones and other devices that play music should not be used at the tournament site. Listening to music during a competitive round will generally result in disqualification under the Rules of Golf. This is true for all types of competitions - not just FJT (new Rule in 2012).
Pace of Play
The FJT uses a checkpoint pace of play policy that provides no verbal warnings throughout the round. Each group is responsible for playing under the allotted time or finishing each checkpoint hole within 15 minutes of the group ahead of them.
Pace of play will be strictly enforced with anticipated rounds to be less than 4 hours and 45 minutes. We strongly recommend that all players and parents read and understand the Pace of Play Policy.