Senior/Mid-Amateur Four-Ball Championship
March 19-20, 2016
Veneziano & Snoap's 11 Birdies Propel Them to Victory
The clear morning skies on Saturday at The Country Club of Winter Haven turned gray and rainy by the afternoon causing round one to be suspended and resumed Sunday morning. The players arrived at the course early Sunday to complete round one and continue on to play the final round. After round one was complete four teams tied for first with lackluster 68's. The teams of Ed Tompkins/Devin Hernandez, Mike Riley/Rob Maddox, Randy Elliott/Thad Hudgens, and Bill Moore/Matt Jackson started round two tied at the top. Seven teams tied for fifth place after round one, one stroke back, with a three under-par 69. The highlight of round one came from Edward Parnell when he aced the second hole with his first swing of the day Sunday morning when play resumed!
The field was flighted into a Championship flight, scores 68-72 and a First Flight, scores 73 and above after the completion of round one. Three teams tied for first in the First Flight at one over-par 73. These teams included Adam Krestalude/David Houghton, Alan Pope/Murray Hixson, and Kasey Denesevich/Douglas Ritter.
Sunday’s final round saw a shift at the top of the leaderboard in the Championship Flight as the team of Jon Veneziano, 2015 Mid-Amateur Champion, and Doug Snoap came from behind! Veneziano, of Mount Dora and Snoap, of Apopka seemed to be golfing robots birdieing every hole, with the exception of one par on the 14th hole, on their first nine holes (the back nine) to shoot a remarkable 28! The team finished with a three under-par, 33 on their final nine holes to post an outstanding 11 under-par, 61. After a first round of 69, the pair captured the win with a 14 under-par, 130. Five strokes behind in second place was the team from Vero Beach, Bobby Bird and Matthew Avril, who birdied three holes on the front and three of the last four finishing holes, to shoot a final round six under-par 66. Three teams tied for third place at eight under-par (136) including, Kelly Gosse/Pete Williams, who were defending Champions, Stephen Anderson/Rick Woulfe, and Rob Maddox/Mike Rley. Another exciting hole-in-one was recorded on Sunday, this time during round two! Jeff Kerns aced number six, making it his third hole-in-one in the last three months!
In the First Flight, Kelly Seller and Kenny Davis shot an impressive final round to climb up to a victory. The team from Lakeland had three birdies on each the front and back nine to finish with a five under-par, 67 in the final round. With a first round of 73, tournament total 140, Seller and Davis won by one stroke over Adam Krestalude, of Ponte Vedra Beach and David Houghton, of Brewster, Massachusetts. The teams of Kasey Denesevich/Douglas Ritter and Andy Weber/James Hammons tied for third place with a 143 tournament total.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Great morning followed by rain||80 °F|
|Light Rain in AM, Perfect Afternoon with Light Breeze||78 °F|
Four-Ball is one of the most popular and enjoyable formats in all of golf. Partners play their own ball into the hole and take the better score for the hole of the two of them. There will be separate tees for the mid-amateurs (25-54) and seniors (55 and older) to accommodate all players. For a look at the 2015 Championship Results, click here.
- 36 holes of four-ball stroke play, (commonly known as a two-person, best-ball)
- Maximum of 52 total teams
- The lowest gross team score for 36 holes will be the Champions (no handicaps used)
After 18 holes, the number of flights will be based on the number of teams and/or the range of scores.
- Male amateur golfers
- Teams consist of one senior male amateur at least 55 years of age and one male amateur 25-54 years of age as of the first day of the Championship
- Two seniors may NOT compete as a team
- Both entrants are required to be members of the FSGA
- $310 per team GHIN Member or Foundation Member
- $330 per team Non-GHIN Member
Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
Entries will be accepted based upon the order of receipt. Entries received after the competitive field is full or after the close of entries, will be placed on an alternates list. Alternates will be contacted in the order of receipt of entry, if and when, a spot becomes available.
The golf course will be set-up at approximately:
- Mid-Amateurs - 6,700-6,900 yards
- Senior Amateurs - 6,300-6,500 yards
Schedule of Events
Saturday, March 19th
- 8:00 AM Round One tee times off of #1 and #10 tees
Sunday, March 20th
- 8:30 AM Final Round shotgun
Only one of the partners per team needs to sign the score card and each score to count must be individually identifiable. See Rule 31-3.
Practice rounds are available five days prior to the event on a space available basis. Practice rounds are restricted to after 12:00 PM. The cost of a practice round is $35.00 plus tax. Please call (863) 324-6666 to reserve a time for a practice round. The place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range. Hitting multiple balls on the golf course is unacceptable.
The team of Pete Williams and Kelly Gosse went wire-to-wire firing a two round total 65-63-128 to capture the 12th Senior/Mid-Amateur Four-Ball Championship at Victoria Hills Golf Club in Deland, Florida.
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Current year's Four-Ball Championship
Host Hotel and Accommodations
Hampton Inn Winter Haven
202 Cypress Gardens Boulvard
Winter Haven, FL 33880
$129 per room, per night, plus tax.
Click here to book online, or call referencing the "FSGA Room Block". Must book by March 5th.
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are allowed in all FSGA Championships except Junior events. However, a player must not use a parent, step-parent or guardian as a caddie. The caddie MUST walk and the player's clubs must remain on the golf cart.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Conditions of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Directions to The Country Club of Winter Haven
The Country Club of Winter Haven
4200 Country Club Road South
Winter Haven, FL 33881
Click here for directions