Senior/Mid-Amateur Four-Ball Championship
March 18-19, 2017
The Senior/Mid-Amateur Four-Ball Championship is a where two men, one 25-54 and the other 55 and over, and compete in a "best ball" format over two days. This year the Championship headed to the wonderful layout at Juliette Falls which is located in Dunnellon about 20 minutes west of Ocala.
The favorites heading into the weekend had to be the team of Marc Dull and Bob Levy. Dull was the runner-up at the 2015 U.S. Mid-Amateur, has represented Florida at the U.S. State Team Championship, and is one the best ranked mid-amateurs in Florida. Levy is a very accomplished senior who mas made deep runs in some past match play championships and strong finishes in several other senior events. The Dull/Levy partnership came out strong in round one posting a 65 (-7) that was tied for the lead with the duo of Daniel Eggertsson and Craig Howell.
Eggertsson and Howell are also very accomplished amateurs. Eggertsson qualified for the U.S. Mid-Amateur in 2016 and also has many great finishes in other FSGA competitions. Howell also has some great finishes including a win in a SW Amateur Series event.
Paired in the final round together, these two teams would go head-to-head for the title. There were many teams chasing them, but they were focused on beating each other. Both teams would make three birdies on the front nine to turn at 33 (-3). Then, a two-shot swing on the par 5 11th after Dull/Levy made bogey and Eggertsson made a birdie for their side and put them two shots ahead. Levy would rebound on the par 4 12th with a birdie putting them only down one stroke. Then a costly bogey on the par 3 13th by Dull/Levy would put them two shots back once again. A birdie on the 18th by Levy wasn't enough as Howell made par for a one stroke victory for and the first title for the Eggertsson and Howell as partners.
Hole-In-One: In the first round, Kyle Thomas made an ace on the par 3 13th! The ace helped their side (Kyle Thomas & Greg Ellis) finished tied for second place.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Mid-Amateurs||6,846 yds. 73.1/140|
|Seniors||6,294 yds. 70.5/130|
Four-Ball is one of the most popular and enjoyable formats in all of golf. Two partners play their own ball into the hole and take the better score for the hole of the two of them. There will be separate tees for the mid-amateurs (25-54) and seniors (55 and older) to accommodate all players. For a look at the 2016 Championship Results, click here.
Juliette Falls is located in Dunnellon which is just west of Ocala. Most players choose to stay in Ocala and take the easy 20-25 minute drive to the course. Juliette Falls is one of finer layouts in central Florida and is a joy to play. Find a friend in the appropriate age division and enjoy testing your skills against some of the state's best.
- 36 holes of four-ball stroke play, (commonly known as a two-person, best-ball)
- Maximum of 52 total teams
- The lowest gross team score for 36 holes will be the Champions (no handicaps used)
After 18 holes, the number of flights will be based on the number of teams and/or the range of scores. Gift certificates will be awarded to the top finishers in each flight.
- Male amateur golfers
- Teams consist of one senior male amateur at least 55 years of age and one male amateur 25-54 years of age as of the first day of the Championship
- Two seniors may NOT compete as a team
- Both entrants are required to be 2017 members of the FSGA
- $310 per team GHIN Member or Foundation Member
- $330 per team Non-GHIN Member
Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
Entries will be accepted based upon the order of receipt. Entries received after the competitive field is full or after the close of entries, will be placed on an alternates list. Alternates will be contacted in the order of receipt of entry, if and when, a spot becomes available.
The golf course will be set-up at approximately:
- Mid-Amateurs - 6,700-6,900 yards
- Senior Amateurs - 6,300-6,500 yards
Schedule of Events
Saturday, March 18th
- 8:00 AM Round One tee times off of #1 and #10 tees
Sunday, March 19th
- 8:30 AM Final Round shotgun
Only one of the partners per team needs to sign the score card and each score to count on each hole must be individually identifiable. See Rule 31-3.
Practice rounds are available five days prior to the event on a space available basis. Practice rounds are restricted to after 12:00 PM. The cost of a practice round is $35.00 plus tax. Please call (352) 522-0309 to reserve a time for a practice round. The place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range. Hitting multiple balls on the golf course is unacceptable.
The team of Jon Veneziano and Doug Snoap blistered Country Club of Winter Haven with 11 birdies in their final round en route to a 130 total and five stroke victory. Results
Exemptions Earned from this Tournament
- Current year's Four-Ball Championship
Host Hotel and Accommodations
3712 SW 38th Avenue
Ocala, FL 34474
$124 per room, per night, plus tax. Must book by 3/3/2017 to receive rate. Click here to book online, or call 352-237-8000 asking for FSGA Rate.
- Spectators and Spectator Cart Policy - Click here.
- Caddies - Caddies are allowed in all FSGA Championships except Junior events. However, a player must not use a parent, step-parent or guardian as a caddie. The caddie MUST walk and the player's clubs must remain on the golf cart.
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here.
- Local Rules and Conditions of Competition - Click here.
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this Championship.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Directions to Juliette Falls
6933 SW 179th Avenue Road
Dunnellon, FL 34432