Winter Series Stableford - Country Club of Ocala
February 20-21, 2023
OCALA, Fla. – The FSGA Winter Series made its way to the Country Club of Ocala on Monday and Tuesday for the 8th event of the season. Conditions were near perfect, the competition was fierce, but at the end of the 36-hole Stableford competition, Andrew Galloway, Keith Hensel and Steve Humphrey came away with victories.
At the conclusion of play on Monday, Andrew Galloway sat atop the Mid-Amateur leaderboard with 34 Stableford points. This was good for a two-point lead over his nearest competitor, Nilo Sanchez.
With such a tight leaderboard at the end of the day, it would be apparent that the player that played the best on Tuesday would leave Ocala with a victory. Galloway continued his consistent play, making 33 Stableford points in the second round to finish with 67 points overall. This was Galloway’s first victory of the 2022-2023 Winter Series season. Phil Sipiora jumped four spots on Tuesday to finish in a tie for second place with Nilo Sanchez at 59 points.
As usual, the senior division saw some great golf and a close battle at the top of the leaderboard. At the conclusion of play on Monday, Douglas Jones’ four birdies were enough for 41 points and a three-point lead over Tom Myers and John Moore. Myers had five birdies of his own, while Moore had two birdies, along with an eagle on the first hole.
Stellar play from the rest of the field on Tuesday saw the leaderboard being completely shaken up. Lloyd Fisher’s four birdies and two bogies saw him jump ten spots up the leaderboard to finish the tournament with 74 points after scoring 42 points in the second round. Fisher would have been looking to pick up his third Winter Series victory of the season if not for the play of Keith Hensel. Fisher’s play was only good enough for a runner-up finish as Hensel would better him by one point to capture the victory. Rounding out the top 3 in a tie at 71 points was Bruce Sands and Carl Erickson.
Birdies were abundant for the Super-Senior division in the first round, with the trio of Dan Bogdan, Bob Levy and Michael Bell finishing in a tie for the lead with 41 stableford points. The champion title was up for grabs as there were nine other competitors within five points of the lead.
As the final round arrived, Bogdan continued his stellar play scoring 36 points for a total of 77 points over the two rounds. Bogdan was edged by one point by Steve Humphrey, who had a fantastic bogey-free round en route to scoring 38 points in the second round and 78 points overall. Taking third place was Steve Sponder with 74 points over the two rounds.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Mid-Amateur||6,814 yds., 73.6/139|
|Senior||6,424 yds., 72.0/135|
|Super-Senior||6,008 yds., 70.2/132|
|Sunny, Breezy||77 °F|
Format: 36-holes of gross stroke play
Eligibility: FSGA Adult Member at least 25 years of age
Handicap: Florida GHIN 10.0 or less
Age Divisions: Mid-Amateur, Senior & Super-Senior
Entry Fee: $180
- 36 holes of individual modified stableford (no handicaps), the player with the highest number of points in each age division will be the winner
- 0 points - Double-Bogey or worse
- 1 point - Bogey
- 2 points - Par
- 4 points - Birdie
- 6 points - Eagle
- 8 points - Albatross / Double-Eagle
- Entries are open to male amateur golfers who are age 25 or older as of March 7th, 2023
- Entrant must be a Adult or Foundation Member of the FSGA
- Entrant must have an active Florida GHIN Handicap and have a current handicap index of 10.0 or lower.
There are three age divisions; Mid-Amateur (25-54), Senior (55-64) and Super-Senior (65 & above). Each player must compete in the age division commensurate with their age as of March 7th, 2023. Competitors may not elect to play in a different age division or from a different tee than designated.
- Mid-Amateur (25-54) plays approximately 6,700 yards
- Senior (55-64) plays approximately 6,400 yards
- Super-Senior (65 & above) approximately 6,100 yards
**After the first round, each age division may be flighted based on the number of competitors and/or the range of scores.
- Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
- Age-group Champions at each event will receive a commemorative award. Gift certificates (totaling approximately $30 per-player in the field) will be awarded to the top finishers in each age group.
- Round 1 - 10:30 AM - 12:30 PM Tee Times
Tuesday, February 21st
- Round 2 - 8:30 AM Shotgun
Practice Rounds & Cost
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the event on a space available basis and are restricted to after 12:00 PM on weekends. To arrange your practice round please call the club at 352-237-6644. The cost of a practice round is $40 plus tax.
There is currently no host hotel for this event.
Maximum Field Size
Individual events - 96 players in foursomes