FJT at Cimarrone GC (13-15)
February 10-11, 2018
Strong Comebacks Propel Davis & Schroeder to First-Time Victories
Champions - Jake Davis & Kaitlyn Schroeder
Florida Junior Tour (13-15)
- Cimarrone Golf Club (Jacksonville, FL)
- Yardages & Rating
- Boys - 6,677 yds., 73.3/137
- Girls - 5,832 yds., 74.8/136
Weather & Conditions
- Saturday - Partly cloudy with temperatures reaching the low 80's
- Sunday - Cloudy with temperatures in the mid-70's to low 80's
With perfect golf weather, the Boy's Division produced numerous respectable scores, however, it was Brendan Valdes who sat at the top of the leaderboard after the first round. After a few pars to start off his round, Brendan made a birdie on the par-five, 14th before unfortunately making a bogey just two holes later. Finishing up his first nine holes at even-par, 36, Valdes' putter got hot on his next stretch of nine holes. Starting his back nine off with two birdies, Brendan doubled the fourth hole before carding two additional birdies on his final five holes. Shooting two under-par on his back nine, Valdes would finish the first round with a two under-par, 70, to take a two stroke the lead over Luke Clanton and Matthew Yamin. With a tight race to the finish, Sunday's final round would require well executed shots and excellent putting. Sunday's final round produced a little breezier conditions, making it a little more difficult to find the bottom of the cup for some players. After the front nine, while the group of leaders turned at even-par, 36, it was Jake Davis who was making a charge for the top spot. Shooting a three under-par, 33, on his opening nine, Davis sat one off the lead heading into the final stretch. Despite making two bogeys on the back nine, Jake went ahead and birdied both the 12th and 14th holes to remain at three under for the day. On the final hole, Jake capped off his impressive run to the top with a birdie to finish the final round with afour under-par, 68, and a two day total of 142. Luke Clanton, of Miami Lakes, finished his final nine holes with a single birdie to cap off another impressive round this year, a one under-par, 71. Yet, it was Jake Davis who captured the FJT event at Cimarrone title with a two under-par, 142, total. Finishing in a tie for third was Siyuan Lyu and Matthew Yamin who both finished the tournament at even par.
After round one in the Girl's Division, it was Lisa Colee who separated herself from the competition. After carding two bogeys early on in her round, Lisa went on to birdie the seventh and ninth holes to make the turn at even-par. Taking advantage of the unique back-to-back par fives Cimarrone offers, Lisa birdied both to move to two under-par with four holes to play. The par-four 16th hole was proved its difficulty, eventually leading to a double-bogey for Lisa, dropping her back to even-par. With pars on the final two finishing holes, Lisa would post an even-par, 72 for the first round, which was good enough for a five stroke lead heading into the final round. Sitting in second place after the round one was Amelia Williams, of Gainesville and Kaitlyn Schroeder, of Jacksonville. Sunday's final round shuffled around the leading board, leaving Kaitlyn Schroeder at the top to claim her first Florida Junior Tour victory. First round leader, Lisa Colee, struggled coming out of the gate Sunday by making the turn at seven over-par while Kaitlyn Schroeder carded just one bogey and two birdies to shoot a one under-par, 35 on her opening nine holes. With an eight shot swing in just nine holes, Kaitlyn Schroeder was the new leader in the Girl's Division. After a double bogey blemish on the score card on the fourth hole, Kailtyn bounced back with a birdie on the sixth to maintain her lead. Lisa Colee attempted to fight back and fired an impressive 37 on her finishing nine to shoot an eight over-par final round of 80. However, it was Kaitlyn Schroeder who held on to her lead and finished with a one over-par 73 to win by two. With a two day total of 150 (77-73), Kaitlyn Schroeder went on to win her first Florida Junior Tour event.
The Florida Junior Tour heads southwest as the next 13-15 event takes place next weekend (February 17th & 18th) at Palm Aire Country Club in Sarasota. Entries are open for both the 2018 Girls' Junior Amateur Championship and Boys' Junior Amateur Championship. The Girls' Junior Amateur Championship will take place in Vero Beach at the challenging Bent Pine Golf Club, co-host of the 2017 Boys' Junior Amateur Championship. The 2018 Boys' Junior Amateur Championship will head to Sarasota to the beautiful Laurel Oak Country Club. Entries for the Boys' & Girls' Junior Amateur Championships close May 30th and June 13th, respectively.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Boy's 13-15||6677 yds., 73.3/137|
|Girl's 13-15||5832 yds., 74.8/136|
|Temperatures in the low 80s||80 °F|
|Temperatures in upper 70s||78 °F|
13-15 Age Division
$95 or $115 entry fee (GHIN vs non-GHIN price)
Membership is required
Located in between the heart of Jacksonville and St. Augustine, Cimarrone Golf Club is set to host the Florida Junior Tour. The course was built in 1988 and was designed by David Poselthwait. Cimarrone GC is excited to host the Florida Junior Tour.
Click here to view the club's website.
- 36 holes of individual stroke play
- 84 total players
- 13-15 age division (age calculated by the last day of the tournament)
Divisions and Approximate Yardages
- Boys 13-15 Age Division - 6,700 yards (gross only)
- Girls 13-15 Age Division - 5,700 yards (gross only)
How Entries are Accepted
- Players with an unused FJT exemption will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis (if submitted before the entry deadline).
- Players without an FJT exemption - all other entries are held until the entry closing date. Shortly after the closing date, a computer-generated random draw is performed to determine which entries are accepted, and the order of the alternates. All players are notified of their status after the random draw is conducted,
- An alternates list will be posted to the FJT website under "Tee Times & Player Information".
- Entries submitted after the entry deadline will be added to the bottom of the alternates list or used to fill any openings in the field.
Click here for more details.
How to Enter
Entries must be submitted through the FSGA website. To enter, each player must have an account on this website (free to setup), and a current FJT Junior Membership ($40). Click "Enter" above in the Tournament Links box.
The entry fee of $95 (for GHIN handicap members) or $115 (non-GHIN handicap members) includes tournament rounds, range balls prior to tournament rounds, crystal trophies for the top three finishers, and a tee gift.
To receive the GHIN handicap price, the player, or one of the player's parents must have an active GHIN handicap at a club in Florida. The seven digit GHIN number must be included and active when the entry is submitted. Click on the Handicaps tab above in the main menu for more information.
Late Fee: A late fee of $10 will be applied to entries received after the entry deadline. The entry fee and late fee will only be charged if the player gets accepted into the tournament field.
Schedule of Events
Saturday, February 10th
10:30 AM - 1:00 PM - Tournament Registration (near pro shop)
11:07 AM - 1:04 PM - Round one tee times off the 1st and 10th tees
Sunday, February 11th
8:00 AM - 9:57 AM - Final round tee times off the 1st and 10th tees
Approximately 2:30 PM - Awards presentation
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the tournament on a space-available basis. Tee times are only available after 12:00 noon the weekend prior. The price for a practice round is $25.00 + tax. Please call (904) 287-2000 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course, not filling divots, and not repairing ball marks are unacceptable and may cause removal from the tournament without a refund.
AJGA Performance Based Entry (PBE)
- Champion receives 2 performance stars
- Top 5 receive 1 performance star
- Winner receives 2 performance stars
- Top 3 receive 1 performance star
- Ranked by Junior Golf Scoreboard
- Walking - players must walk during tournament rounds
- Spectators & Carts - Spectators are allowed. Spectator carts are available first-come, first-served at $25 + tax per day, per cart Click here
- Caddies - Caddies are not allowed
- Range Finders (Electronic Measuring Devices) - are allowed (see Local Rules link below)
- Championship Pace of Play Policy - Click here
- Local Rules and Conditions of Competition - Click here
- Championship Policies - Click here to read the withdrawal, dress code, and other policies.
- Procedures for Alternates - Click here for information on how alternates may gain entry into this tournament.
- Conditions/ Schedule - The FSGA Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions and/or schedules. The
decision of the Championships Committee/on-site Rules Committee in any matter will be final.
Hotel & Accommodations
Fairfield Inn - Marriott
305 Outlet Mall Blvd.
St. Augustine, FL 32084
$129 per night plus tax - 2 Dbl Beds
Click here to book
You may also call the hotel and reference the Florida State Golf Association to book.
Cimarrone Golf Club
2800 Cimarrone Blvd.
Jacksonville, FL 32259
Click for Map