FJT Palatka Open (9-12)
January 11-12, 2020
Three Trophies Hoisted in New Year
PALATKA, Fla. – The first FJT (9-12 division) of 2020 kick started the year with two wire-to-wire victories and a come from behind win at Palatka Golf Club, January 11-12.
Jessy Huebner, of Port Saint Lucie, secured the round one lead after posting the only red number and tournament low round of the day, two under-par 68. Two birdies on both the front and back nine of day one gave Huebner the lead by two strokes over Lev Grinberg, of Boca Raton. Grinberg finished round one with back-to-back birdies on holes 17 and 18 to finish the day at even par 70.
Champion of the 2019 Futures Championship, Huebner is no stranger to tough competition. Despite Grinberg starting round two with a birdie on the first hole, followed by another birdie on the fifth hole, Huebner held onto the lead. Birdies on holes eight, 10, 11, and 16 earned Huebner a one under-par second round and 137 finish. A bogey free final round of three under-par 67 from Grinberg left him tied at the top with Huebner. Huebner and Grinberg would determine the champion in a sudden-death play-off. Huebner earned a victory in his first event of 2020 after winning the first play-off hole!
Two rounds of 77 from Christian Koehn, of Winter Park, and Alen Gurdogan, of Palm Beach Gardens, tied at the top after round one. With a three stroke lead, the duo would battle for the first place win in round two. Both Koehn and Gurdogan started round two three over-par after the third hole. A double-bogey on the seventh hole by Gurdogan gave Koehn a one-stroke lead heading into the final nine holes. Fighting back with birdies on holes 10, 13, and 14, Gurdogan could not overcome Koehn’s lead after posting a second round 81. Koehn increased his one stroke lead with six pars and three bogies on his final nine holes to finish with a 78. Gurdogan finished in second place at 158, three strokes behind. A first time FJT win was captured by Koehn with a 155 total!
Marley Pedrique, of West Palm Beach, was looking to add a second win to her resume after finishing round one in the lead by three strokes. A birdie on the fourth hole gave Pedrique the early lead with a 78 in round one. Morgan Rodriguez, of Delray Beach, erased a three stroke deficit in round two to climb into the lead. Three-time FJT winner, Rodriguez finished round two with 13 pars and a 76 to seize first place by 11 strokes. McKenna Murphy claimed second place due to rounds of 81-87—168, while Pedrique finished in third place at a 170 total. Rodriguez would start the year being crowned champion with a 157 total.
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Boys 11-12||5,514 yards, 66.7/120|
|Boys 9-10||4,799 yards, 63.7/110|
|Girls 11-12||4,799 yards, 68.5/115|
|Breezy w/ on and off light rain showers||76 °F|
Format: 36 holes, individual gross stroke play
Eligibility: Boys and Girls 9-12 (age calculated from the last day of the event), FJT Membership & Florida GHIN required
Entry Fee: $75
Field Determination: First-come-first-serve basis, 84 player field
Practice Round Information: $30 +tax
Divisions and Approximate Yardages
- Boys 9-10 Age Division - 5,000 yards (gross only)
- Girls 9-10 Age Division - 4,200 yards (gross only)
- Boys 11-12 Age Division - 5,500 yards (gross only)
- Girls 11-12 Age Division - 5,000 yards (gross only)
How Entries are Accepted
- Entries will be accepted on a first-come-first-serve basis.
- Late entries will be accepted if space is available ($10 late entry fee).
- If entries have reached capacity, additional players will be placed on an alternate's list.
- The alternate's list will be posted to the FJT website under "Tee Times & Player Information."
- Entries close approximately 2 1/2 weeks prior to the tournament.
- At the close of entries, if the 9-10 division (boys or girls) has 3 or less entrants, those players must choose one of the following options: 1) Play up into the 11-12 division OR 2) Withdraw from the event and receive a full refund.
Schedule of Events
Saturday, January 11th
9:00 AM - 11:30AM - Tournament Registration (near pro shop)
10:00 AM - 11:57 AM- Round one tee times off the 1st and 10th tees
Mandatory Meeting - 30 to 45 minutes prior to tee time, 15 minutes long (more information below)
Sunday, January 12th
8:00 AM - 9:57 AM - Final round tee times off the 1st and 10th tees
Mandatory Educational Meeting - Saturday
- Each golfer MUST attend a mandatory meeting with FSGA staff prior to their tee time on Saturday.
- Topics to include: Etiquette, rules, pace-of-play, how to feel comfortable playing in events, care for the course, appreciation of club staff and volunteers.
- Meetings will generally take place near or on the practice putting green.
- Each player MUST attend the meeting associated with his/her tee time.
- Meetings will be approximately 15 to 20 minutes long.
- Parents are encouraged to attend.
*If a players fails to make the meeting at their scheduled time, they will not be allowed to participate in the event.*
Five FJT Standards
Competing at beautiful clubs around the state is a privilege and it is important for all of our players and parents to place value on the following five duties:
- Say please and thank you to the club staff and our volunteers
- Rake bunkers
- Fix ball marks
- Step on/repair your divots
- Throw away your garbage! There should never be trash on the ground anywhere on the course (place trash in waste receptacles, golf carts or even your bag if no other place is available).
Showing Appreciation and Proper Manners - At all courses where juniors play, they should show appreciation to the members and staff. To all of our junior players, let's show the clubs that you are not only the most talented golfers in the country, but also the most respectful. A "thank you" to the club and taking care of the course are the best ways to make a positive impression on the club, fellow players, coaches and spectators.
How to Enter
Entries are submitted through the FSGA website. To enter, each player must create an FSGA account on this website (free to set-up), purchase a current Junior Membership ($40), and have an active Florida GHIN Handicap (included in membership if golfer does not already have one). To proceed, click the "Enter" button above once entries have opened.
Late Entry Fee: A late fee of $10 will be applied to entries submitted after the close of entries date. The entry fee and late fee will only be applied if the player gets accepted in to the tournament field.
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the tournament on a space-available basis. Tee times are only available after 12:00 noon the weekend prior. The price for a practice round is $30.00 + tax. Please call (386) 329-0141 to arrange your practice round. The proper place to practice your golf swing is on the driving range, hitting multiple shots on the course, not filling divots, and not repairing ball marks are unacceptable and may cause removal from the tournament without a refund.
AJGA Performance Based Entry (PBE)
|Boys 11-12||Girls 11-12|
|Champion- 1 star||Champion- 1 star|
Florida Junior Tour Policies
There is no host hotel.
Palatka Golf Club
1715 Moseley Avenue
Palatka, FL 32177
Click here for directions.