Winter Series Four-Ball - Southern Hills Plantation Club
December 2-3, 2019
Three Teams Victorious at Southern Hills Winter Series
BROOKSVILLE, Fla. – The Winter Series traveled to Southern Hills Plantation Club for the first four-ball event of the season. Southern Hills proved to be a great test for the players over the two-day tournament.
Luke McCann and JP Pearce took home the win the Mid-Amateur Division on Tuesday, while Walter Himelsbaugh and Doug Jones were victorious in the Senior Division. Dick Clemens and Kevin Macy captured the Super-Senior Division.
McCann and Pearce survived a two-hole playoff to get the win in the Mid-Amateur Division at Southern Hills. After the first round, the pair was in a tie for first place with two teams at 1-over 73. The Jacksonville team carded an even-par 72 in the second round to finish the round in a tie for first place with Ken Cocolin and Matthew Giovannelli at 1-over 145. McCann and Pearce birdied the second playoff hole to secure the win.
Cocolin and Giovannelli, who started the day in a tie for fourth place, took home a second place finish. Cocolin aced the par-3 13th hole, as the Ocala duo fired the low round of the day, 3-under 69. Christopher Anderson and Cameron Smith finished third at 2-over 146.
Himelsbaugh and Jones finished the tournament at the top of the Senior Division leaderboard with a 1-under 143, the only under-par round in their division. Following the first round, Himelsbaugh and Jones sat in first place after an even-par 72 on Monday. The pair carded two birdied in the final round to post a 1-under 71 and capture the win.
Richard Kerper and Doug LaCrosse finished second at 1-over 145, while the teams of Len Cole / Cash Wiseman and Brian Coffey / David Tassell tied for third at 4-over 148.
Dick Clemens and Kevin Macy fired a 7-under 137 to capture the two-stroke victory in the Super-Senior Division. The Tampa duo posted a 2-under 70 on Monday to head into the final round at the top of the leaderboard. Clemens and Macy used a bogey-free 5-under 67 in the final round to secure the win, carding five birdies on the day.
Jim Stone and Carey Watson secured a second-place finish with two red numbers for the tournament, 71-68–139. The teams of Bobby Lundquist / Jerry Young and Robert Hess / Fred Peel tied for third place with a 4-under 140
Follow the FSGA:
|Tee||Yardage / Info|
|Mid-Amateur||6,717 yds. 72.6/137|
|Senior||6,280 yds. 70.7/133|
|Super-Senior||6,011 yds. 70.0/131|
|Cool & Windy. 15-20 mph, gusting to 35||58 °F|
|Colder, Less Wind||48 °F|
Format: 36 holes of gross Four-Ball stroke play
Eligibility: FSGA Adult Member at least 25 years of age
Handicap: Florida GHIN 10.0 or less
Age Divisions: Mid-Amateur, Senior & Super-Senior
Entry Fee: $320
- 36 holes of individual gross four-ball stroke play (no handicaps)
- Four-Ball (commonly known as two-person better-ball or best ball) is a two-person team where the lowest score of the two players on each individual hole is counted
- Entries are open to male amateur golfers who are age 25 or older as of March 3, 2020
- Both entrants must be a Regular or Foundation Member of the FSGA
- Both entrants must have a handicap active Florida GHIN Handicap and current index of 10.0 or lower.
There are three age divisions; Mid-Amateur (25-54), Senior (55-64) and Super-Senior (65 & above). Each player must compete in the age division commensurate with their age as of March 3, 2020. Competitors may not elect to play in a different age division or from a different tee than designated.
- Mid-Amateur (25-54) plays approximately 6,700 yards
- Senior (55-64) plays approximately 6,400 yards
- Super-Senior (65 & above) approximately 6,100 yards
**After the first round, each age division may be flighted based on the number of competitors and/or the range of scores.
- $320 per team
- Late entries will be accepted subject to a $10 late entry fee should the entrant gain acceptance into the field.
- Age-group Champions at each event will receive a commemorative award. Gift Certificates (totaling approximately $30 per-player in the field) will be awarded to the top finishers in each age group.
Monday, December 2nd
Round 1 - 12:30 PM Shotgun
Tuesday, December 3rd
Round 2 - 9:00 AM Shotgun Start
Practice Rounds & Cost
Practice rounds are available one week prior to the event on a space available basis and are restricted to after 12:00 PM on weekends. To arrange your practice round please call the club at 352-277-5000. The cost of a practice round is $50 plus tax.
There is currently no host hotel for this event.
Maximum Field Size
Four-Ball events - 48 teams / 96 players in foursomes